Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm a very new web designer. I've built a few small sites for myself and designed a few forums for others. I only know HTML and CSS. No javascript or anything. I've put javascript plugins into forums though, but that's about it.

So anyway! How do I price things and how much to charge? Right now I charge by how many pages, how many photos will be used (if I have to photo edit them). I charge for content that I have to write. I have a fixed price for all of them, and honestly it's really cheap. (I'm embarrassed to say how cheap) I've started on Craigslist and I just got my first client so I plan to make my prices higher once I get some portfolio pieces, as I have none right now. I see everyone on Craigslist making websites so cheap, and they have more to offer (like Javascript) than I do! Though honestly I think I could make much more aesthetic and "prettier" designs than them, haha.

I'm just scared if I charge a lot I won't get any business, especially since I'm very inexperienced. Is it okay for me to start off cheap?

So yea, thanks for the help!
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Enough to where you're comfortable, but you're not going to get all that much, and here's why...you only know HTML/CSS. Assuming you know it and you know it well (which given that you're new is unlikely in and of itself), that unfortunately puts you in a group of several million people around the world and growing. It's okay if you start cheap as long as you're working with people that will give you raises as your skills improve and you develop that which makes you "you" online...in other words, you can do certain things and possess knowledge no one or very few people do.

I wouldn't go the Craigslist route myself. The people shopping on there are cheap, the people who are offering services are cutthroats, and it doesn't do anyone any good. If you got a customer, good on you, but consider that either lightning in a bottle or a customer that has no idea what the difference is between "price" and "value".

Try to find sites that will allow you to build a portfolio and your skill set at once. WZ is a big fan of building not-for-profit sites on a volunteer basis when you're now. I'm not myself (not-for-profits almost always have agendas and divisive interests), but it might work in your case. Maybe find something that interests you and build a unique website about it (no slapassing a W*rdPr*ss blog together and writing generic ad nauseam articles that no one really wants to read...something that requires real thought and effort).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I think a lot of new beginners in this industry feel the same way about where do you start and how much should you charge. Game is right, charge what is a comfortable to you. I basically do this for fun on the side and have been dabbling in web and graphic design for a several years now and I still feel I am cheap but I also feel that I can't charge them to much because I don't know everything. The only saving grace to charging them what I do is I know more than they do and I can take care of their need for a website.

As far as Craigslist, I actually got my first client on their who was in need of a site redesign, he was in a different state but everything went well and I actually did more work for him over the years. As I looked through my old emails dating back to 06 I am really embarrassed to even think or say what I told him I would do it for ops: but lets just say it was hella cheap, dang.

Anyways, as you grow and get more websites in your portfolio so will what you can charge people. For now it might be cheap but it will get better as you get better.

Remove Ads