Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

How can I make Columns that don't Hide my Menu

I (with the help of some of the kind people here) recently built a dropdown menu with javascript that works wonderfully. However, I made a new page with right and left columns, and they are hiding it.

Most of the pages on my site are just the header, the dropdown menu, then content, and finally the footer. I recently made a page with a right and left column, and the menu stopped dropping down. I racked my brain trying to figure out what was wrong, and when I deleted the right column entirely, I saw all the menu tabs above it drop down fine, the tabs above the left still wouldn't drop down, and the one that overlapped the two dropped down but was cut in half, showing that the menu was dropping down, just behind the columns!

I renamed id="column l" to id="content" and the dropdown menu displayed fine, but now I have no more columns and all the information is just displayed straight down, which won't work for the type of page I'm making (even though I renamed id="column_r" to id="sidebar").

Can anyone show me how to have columns that don't block my menu? maybe a command that sends them to the back or something? Thanks
    Last edited by teapot; Aug 09th, 2016 at 09:05 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I can't get to the site from the machine I'm on, but it's likely an issue with z-index. You'll have to set the drop down element to position:relative and set the z-index to a high enough number that nothing's going to overlap it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That was it! Thank you for the lesson.

Remove Ads