Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can I design a mobile site for ALL phones?

Member #

Can I design a mobile site for ALL phones?

I am designing a mobile site for my client and we intended to do it for the iphone4 and up at 640px by 960px. Is there anyway to design for all of the popular phones right now with one layout, or do I need to design a different layout for each phone like the android, iphone3, iphone5 etc?

I read something about byspoke mobile sites? What is this?

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You're thinking of responsive design. It utilizes several different media queries and stylesheets to present layouts different ways based on the user's screen resolution.

I'm just starting to learn how to do it myself, so I can't really point you in the direction of any good singular resources. But that's the general concept.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    (RWD) responsive web design is what you need
    Responsive Web Design | Webdesigntuts+
    Responsive Design Newsletter

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Funny how a tutorial on responsive design... Is not responsive
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Just because it fits in the browser doesn't make it responsive.

I'm still learning myself, but from my understanding, and the definitons of "responsive design", that ain't it.

what I do for clients, is create a seperate section ... Then use a browser detection script to send the visitors to that section based on the user_agent string. This allows me to adjust code on one or either sections without affecting the usability of the other. This process is used by most "big shops" as they normally have one design team that focuses on mobile design and one team on the main site... Since most mobile sites only display a small portion of the same content, the update process is greatly sped up, as changes to one section ( mobile vs. full site ) have no effect and don't need to be tested on both section prior to publication.

until, all browser display the same, I'm gonna stick with this model, and hopefully by the time they all get their act together, I'll have the media queries under my belt.

Member #
    I'm still very confused... So you are saying that it's coding? Therefore if I designed a site with a layout to fit an iphone 4 then the programmer needs to take care of the rest to set the coding so it will also fit an iPhone 5, android, blackberry etc? I do not touch code, so what is my responsibility on my end as the designer to produce a site that is suitable for all phones? Or is it not possible and you all are saying that I need to design separate layouts for iphone4, iphone5, android etc?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Mobile devices tend to work on a subset of supported platforms. Most newer smart phones will render most pages pretty close to other smart phones.

so no, you don't need a layout for each device, and on the other hand, regardless of rumors, myths, etc... There is no "one size fits all" design that will translate across all browers on every possible platform out there.

my typical process is to design 2 layouts. One specifically for browsers that are non-mobile. Then I design a layout for mobile browsers, for that one, since screen space is limited, the decision of what should be displayed on the mobile version and what won't be... Is made...

then I use a detection script, its built into both layouts... To determine the browser that is accessing the page, and either redirect them to the mobile site or allow mobile visitors to visit the "full site"...

the main site would be on http://yoursite.com

the mobile site would be on http://mobile.yoursite.com

this is where I have to say, being a web designer is more than just making pretty pages, to effectively and properly help clients do what is needed or best for their needs, you need to know scripting, server setup ....
    AlphaMare and TheGAME1264 like this.

Member #
    Thanks Webzarus, that's the best response I could have read.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ladydiella View Post
    Thanks Webzarus, that's the best response I could have read.
    Keep in mind that what Webzarus said is not the only way. Kralcx and TheGame also mentioned Responsive Designing.
    As Webzarus said the 2 Layout method is generally used by giant sites with lots and lots of content (at least I think thats what he said). Generally I would go for the responsive layout because that seems to be what everyone is headed for nowadays. I'm also in the process of learning it and its actually kind of fun to make 1 layout fit everything.
    Last edited by Andrew Yurlov; Jun 28th, 2013 at 10:58 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Not everyone, I know a lot of people in this industry, and a full out 1 design fits all is actually the exception. Maybe 1 in 20 for the same reasons I stated above, and yes the big sites do it to maintain "revision control"... Because they generally have 2 complety seperate design teams for the 2 sections... And testing and publishing this way ... The time involved in making sure your changes don't effect ....

i look at it this way... The methodology and process is sound for them... Where as browser support on all the possibilities for mobile... Unless you've got a ton of devices at all the possible browser versions... To test your changes with...

thats all fine and good on a "hobby site"... I just refuse to ask the aire visitors to be beta testers for my design skills.

this goes for a 5 page or 500 page site ... I've done the responsive design on personal stuff... And the browser support just isn't there yet ( in my opinion ), for what I WANT to do with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads