Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Web Designer Portfolios

Hi there, I am wondering if anyone can recommend a few good quality portfolio websites in which web designers can post their work for others to view? I have posted some of my website designs on Sortfolio, however am looking for others. I am a Vancouver web designer [EDIT: "SEO" link removed by TheGAME1264. Please read the forum rules. Thank you]. and would appreciate any Canadian portfolio sites as well.

Thank you,
    James
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Jun 23rd, 2013 at 06:25 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I am intrigued by the idea of posting designs to places other than your own site - how does it work, what is the benefit?

[Edit:] I am assuming the link that was removed was a link to your own portfolio on your website?

I have a few issues with anyone using a purchased Wordpress theme, as you are, and presenting themselves as a designer.

Also - you are devaluing the profession when you underprice your product. How can you quote a set price when you don't know what the site will entail?

[Further edit]You say on your site "Each web design is made custom to your company's branding and requirements."

I got curious, so I went and looked at some sites from your portfolio - you are selling sites built with purchased themes. Do your clients know that you are not doing the work yourself? In one case that I found, you have actually changed the attribution in the theme from this:

/*Theme Name: Squirrel Pro Responsive Theme
    Theme URI: http://www.inkthemes.com/wp-themes/s...rdpress-theme/
    Author: InkThemes.com
    Author URI: http://inkthemes.com/
    Description: The Website built using Squirrel Theme is supereasy to build and is very simplistic in design, the visitors love to see the whole content clearly. Squirrel Theme got several theme options to allow changing and manipulating literally everything in the site. Still the site is very easy to built.
    Version: 2.2.2
    License: GNU General Public License
    License URI: license.txt
    Tags: black, blue, green, orange, pink, red, yellow, one-column, two-columns, right-sidebar, fixed-width, flexible-width, custom-background, custom-colors, custom-header, custom-menu, editor-style, featured-image-header, featured-images, full-width-template, microformats, post-formats, rtl -language-support, sticky-post, theme-options, translation-ready */

to this:

/*Theme Name: Black Slate Studios
    Theme URI: http://www.blackslatestudios.com
    Author: Black Slate Studios
    Author URI: http://www.blackslatestudios.com/
    Description:
    Version: 2.2
    License: GNU General Public License
    License URI: license.txt
    Tags: black, blue, green, orange, pink, red, yellow, one-column, two-columns, right-sidebar, fixed-width, flexible-width, custom-background, custom-colors, custom-header, custom-menu, editor-style, featured-image-header, featured-images, full-width-template, microformats, post-formats, rtl -language-support, sticky-post, theme-options, translation-ready */

but it is in fact this theme http://www.inkthemes.com/squirrel-theme-previews/

Many of us who work in this industry have taken the time and made the effort to actually learn how to code and how to design - what you are doing is shortchanging your clients and this kind of sleazy practice hurts everyone in this profession.
    Last edited by AlphaMare; Jun 28th, 2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: I'm really angry!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The sad part of this whole story ... This guy probably bought a turn key ... "Become a web design company" package... With all the hacked themes already done and all the portfolio sites done too.

i have a hard time believing that someone who actually knows ANYTHING about the Internet these days, would try to pass off paid themes and free themes as their own... And post a link back to their site trying to promote themselves....

Sounds more like... He bought the package ( yes, I've seen them ), and "following our guidelines to promote your new site"... They came here not "thinking" anyone would know any better. To be quite honest, most forums these days are either dead or saturated so this kind of noise is either not seen or so minimal ....

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I have some thoughts on this as well, but for a change I'm going to withhold them pending blackslatestudios' response (if any) within a day or two.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads