Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

So, I was going to build a website for a friend's Home Insulation business.......

Hello Everyone,

A friend of mine has a home insulation business that isn't doing to well. He has NO presence on the web, so I told him we could probably help each other out. I am not a pro web designer, but I am familiar enough with it from my own sites (and I bought some great software from coffee cup a while ago.) that I could at least get him going.

I was wondering if someone could give me any advice for how to help him. In other words, what would be a good general "package" for his situation. I'm figuring a contact page (for estimates, questions..), an bio page, about why you'd insulate, pics (I'll get some stock stuff), logo...etc.
    I'll register him with Angie's List, FB, twitter....etc.

I'm going to google this stuff, but I thought I'd get some good stuff here, too. I want to be sure I do all I can. I hope this does help his business out.

Thank You very much for any input at all.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First off, take away the "why you'd insulate" page unless he plans on doing some form of marketing using it as a landing page specifically and he's targeting whatever competition there is for home insulation as a service on say Adwords or Facebook sponsored ads or something like that. A page like that only makes sense if a user has never heard of insulation or knows very little about it, and you have to figure that most people are going to find your site via search, which means that most of them are already going to be looking for home insulation, so they don't need to know why to insulate in the first place.

Second, thre really isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to that question. Let's say I told you to build X, Y and Z. Well, every other person working on a home insulation site that reads these forums is going to do exactly the same thing. Guess what? You're screwed and so are they (although you're more concerned about you and your friend than you are about them, and rightfully so). So you're going to need to exhibit some creativity as far as how to market what is a relatively dry service. You probably won't have to do much to make your friend's site stand out because most sites in those type of industries tend to be 5-page "here I am, this is my business, no one really gives a damn" sites, but you're going to have to think quite a bit to figure out what exactly you can do. Again, no one's going to really be able to help you with that part of it because anything we come up with will be right out in the open for anyone to use.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Here are my suggestions in the form of questions.

Since the site is one form of advertising for your friend's business, what other kinds of advertising does he do already? Is that advertising successful at bringing in any business? Does it make sense to try and link these 2 forms of advertising together or are you starting from scratch with a whole new approach?

How much do you know about the business? Why would/should anyone pick his over one of his competitors?

Who are the competitors? What do their sites look like? What advantage are they claiming?

How do customers choose? What is important to them? What are their concerns? What do they need (if anything) besides their insulation installed?

These are just the "off the top of my head" questions. There are tons more.

When you can answer a lot of these, the direction for the site should become more clear.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I would google search Insulators in his/your area and see what comes up and consider/try making something better. What is the first business that comes up and why??? Maybe look at their code and see what keywords or other meta tag info they have that you can incorporate in to your friends website to get it towards the top of the page.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's a dangerous game, Fire. You run the risk of getting penalized for duplicate content (because if you play that game, then quite often you end up copy/pasting other people's stuff without regard for consequence), and quite often what you see as far as ranking is concerned is the result of geotargeting, personalization, and several other factors at play. This happens quite a bit...I personally have had original copy of mine duplicated without permission on several occasions, including by someone that I hired once and who decided to try and do my business better than I could (he's now a "community manager", so that pretty much lets you know what kind of skills he had).

This is why I generally don't pay a lot of attention to what "competitors" are doing. I can't duplicate what they do without possible penalty, and what I'm presented with is a partial image of the business.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I'm gonna stay outta this except to say, know the difference between "local" and "overall" search.

if you don't know the differerence, you need to find out, as your client "friend" is trying to get "local" traffic... Its a service industry for a very small target market... And although websites attract "some" interest in these markets, marketing to "contractors"... "Builders"... "Home owners"... Possibly in a different medium... Would yield more promising results.

i get these questions all the time, and I get paid very well to come up with a "web strategy"... But the hardest thing to explain... There is no overnight success to this market... And its rarely what people expect.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    In my opinion, his website should be a "one page site". He's selling a service and only needs to let people know how to get a hold of him, how to locate him, and what services to expect. Don't over-think this. All of the other advertising you're doing is way more important than the actual website. Like you said originally, he has no website presence ... but you're talking about a physical web page. Create that page, but advertise and provide a website presence beyond just a web page.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hey Schirall, a lot of what you are asking all depends on your availability and the availability of your client. I assume you are not going to be maintaining the site on a day to day basis after launch? So if he is not going to post or update the site that often then things like a blog post and articles are overkill. Th site can be as simple as 1 page as stated by another poster or it can be larger like what you posted. Thing is, how can you leverage the site to help his business?

People want information about the company, contact info and sample work. You can easily post those things on one page or more. It is all up to you.

One thing you might want to do as you start thinking outside the box, post testimonials and references on the site. For instance, your client may want to offer another business owner a discount if they are willing to post a testimonial or good review with their business info on it. As a customer, I always want to hear from other actual customers. Lots of sites will post testimonials, but your client can post them with their contact info (in the form of their business which would actually be advertising for them as well). Since this may be a local business seeking local customers, this idea may help build your clients rep in the community.

this also takes into consideration that your client is not really focused with online marketing. Meaning, the site is designed to complement his offline efforts, not drive business for him. So some blog post might be good, but not for SEO purposes, more for assuring potential customers that your client is knowledgeable.

I would be careful with all the social media registrations because unless your client will update them, they can actually look bad. I mean what is a twitter account with no tweets? But then again, maybe you can get yourself some repeat business managing those accounts.

Hope this helps

Sidney Lisojo

Remove Ads