Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need some tips on finding a job

Hi everybody!
    Apologies for a potentially stupid question but could anybody please give me some pointers on how to get a remote job that would mostly involve HTML and CSS coding (like PSD to HTML or something). Donít need anything fancy, just a little something to support myself while beefing up my skills. Hope I am not too far off topic.
    Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No, it's pretty far on topic. So you're all good!

The best thing I can suggest is to try sites like www.odesk.com and Freelancer.com - Hire Freelancers & Find Freelance Jobs Online . I've had quite a bit of success with the former, none with the latter.

Now...here's where I burst your bubble, but for your own good. HTML/CSS coding skills, while important, aren't especially valuable, simply because it's relatively easy for a large number of people to pick those skills up. You're going to need to add something to that, be it Javascript, PHP, ASP, ASP.net, or some combination that sets you apart. HTML/CSS alone just isn't going to do that unless you're willing to work for peanuts.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Gotta agree with the Game here. Those skills, while useful are not very valuable unless you are extremely good at them and have a portfolio to show it. If you are not good at programming in languages like PHP and ASP, but are better at production and design, well then I would market those skills as best you can. Problem is, there are hundreds of TEAMS and freelancers who are selling those same skillsets very cheaply. I mean just look at elancer or something. You will see TEAMS of people bidding on projects and starting at like $5/hr.

So what you might want to consider is packaging your skills. What I mean by that is find what you are good at, and offer that to customers. For instance, you will see a lot of people on fiverr offering to design Facebook pages and what not. Maybe you can offer to design emails or market to e-commerce sites. You will need to find a way to stand out from the crowd.

But bidding for projects on those freelance sites is a good way to try to get business. Another thing is to keep up with the times. There is a lot of talk about Instagram video now, maybe you can offer to design 10 instagram motion graphic videos for a certain price

Sidney Lisojo

Remove Ads