Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Classifieds site

Hello all,

I am looking to start a classifieds site and I came across marketgrabber.com from the Better Business Bureau.

It looks decent but the big question; does it work? Has anyone had any experience with them?

Or do you know of any other companies that have created something similar that is turnkey?

Let me know your your thoughts on this…

Cheers!!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Wait...BBB is now recommending classified ads software? Wow...I always knew they were overreaching and that their ratings served no real purpose since they handle consumer complaints horribly (try having a problem with a "BBB accredited business" and filing a complaint and you'll see exactly what I mean), but that's too much, even for them.

I'm going to answer your "works' question two ways, since I've seen people use the term "works" in two different contexts and I'm not sure which you mean (or if anyone out there will think of the second context with false expectations):

1) If you're talking "works" as in "doesn't create any errors and will allow users to post their ads and respond to ads and do all that other wonderful stuff", "probably". I have no experience with them, but usually people who sell scripts online tend not to release buggy copies, as it's hard enough to convince people to buy a script when "there are plenty of free ones available" or "I can build it myself better". These guys also build using the ASP.net 4.0 framework, and just to attempt building something using that framework means you're at least somewhat hardcore about your code; it's a lot more difficult to find help when you're stuck with ASP.net than it is with PHP. So I will give them code warrior respect for that.

2) If you're talking "works", as in "I can just set it up and people will post classified ads to my site and it'll get used and it'll make all kinds of money and everyone will love it"...no. No script on the planet can do that. Marketing a site and generating a userbase and getting people to post ads and love the site like it's the AC/DC Back in Black album (which, as we all know, is scientifically impossible not to love) is up to you.

This is where the "turnkey" thing comes into play. Some people, and I don't know if you're one of them or not so this is in no way a judgement, think that they can install a "turnkey" script or program and everything will take care of itself. The problem with a "turnkey" script or program is that it's limited to its designated function. In this case, it's limited to classified ads. Here's an example...let's say you wanted to do Canadian ads and you want to do postal code proximity. Or you want to do more than 10 photos. Or non-Adsense ad networks. Things like that. So you'll need to consider this if you're going to customize at least some things.

Hopefully that either clears stuff up or gives you stuff to think about.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Marketing a site and generating a userbase and getting people to post ads and love the site like it's the AC/DC Back in Black album (which, as we all know, is scientifically impossible not to love) is up to you.
    I second this.

Remove Ads