Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times

Web Design / Development and Education

Well first order of business. Like others may have said the forum is looking very "fresh".
    Now that I got that out of the way I have a few questions concerning Web Design / Development and Education.

First off, Is it absolutely required to have a 4 year degree to have a good job in this industry? The reason I ask this question is because I have a relative who got in to this line of work all by himself with no degree whatsoever. What he did was study web design in his spare time and slowly build up his portfolio. Now he is making about $55 and hour and up. I also have another relative who is a back end developer who recently turned down a $65 an hour job because he didn't feel like getting up that early (9 am)... If I understand correctly some employers don't even bring you in for an interview unless you have at least a 4 year degree.

What I was thinking of doing is work towards a 2 year degree and build up a portfolio. This way I will have a degree and a portfolio to show for my knowledge. Would this be a good plan for me? Would this work? Now that i'm done with high school i'm just trying to figure out what would be my best next step.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'll answer your first question like this...the two guys who have garnered the most respect in this forum (WZ and I) don't have degrees, and neither of us should ever need one. We plenny smart, and we got plenny work.

The portfolio is worth far more than the degree is. The portfolio, if done correctly, demonstrates applied knowledge and skill. The degree indicates that you probably have a relatively high tolerance level for pot and alcohol and not a whole lot else.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I'll answer your first question like this...the two guys who have garnered the most respect in this forum (WZ and I) don't have degrees, and neither of us should ever need one. We plenny smart, and we got plenny work.

The portfolio is worth far more than the degree is. The portfolio, if done correctly, demonstrates applied knowledge and skill. The degree indicates that you probably have a relatively high tolerance level for pot and alcohol and not a whole lot else.
    Thanks for the answer I figured as much. The only real reason im going for the 2 year degree anyway is because of the electives I want to take. They offer Java programming 1, 2, and 3. I have always wanted to learn programming but never got around to it.

I love that last bit. Totally made my day

Remove Ads