Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: FTP Issue

Member #

FTP Issue

Hi folks,

I currently appear to have an issue with FTP. I refine wording for the Latest News page of my website in Dreamweaver, refresh the page via FTP program Filezilla, doublecheck the page on the site has updated accordingly using Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers, and everything is fine…Except it isn’t. While changes show up accessing the website via my PC at home, they don’t show up accessing the site from public library computers or anywhere else. Wondering whether you guys know what might be going wrong and how to rectify it. Any advice much appreciated.

Hepcat :>)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    May not be an FTP issue at all, it might be a local or ISP caching issue.

Some ISP's and Companies use Caching to speed up ( or give the appearance of faster connections ), by caching pages in memory of their firewall for a period of time ), sometimes a day, sometimes longer. When a user request the same page they have recently requested, you get the copy from the cache instead of the site.

Most browsers also use this feature on many PC's as well. I would suspect PC's at a public library have the cache turned on. and doubtful you have the ability to turn that setting off on those machines.

if you are not getting errors when you FTP... I suspect the pages are being updated and you probably have caching turned off on your PC that you develop on so you see the changes as they are made.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What WZ said. A lot of public libraries and places like that have caching enabled because they have to...several people are often accessing the network at once and in turn quite often doing some pretty bandwidth-intensive things. I've seen people at my library playing RPGs, listening to music, watching YouTube videos, and all sorts of other stuff.

As long as the new changes you've made show up on your PC, that means you probably made them correctly and that it'll just take a few hours for everything else to kick into play.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks, guys. It indeed appears to be something to do with the library network. I'm currently researching a meta-tag which might help override the cache version of pages on such networks. Here's the page in question, by the way (it's a music website)...

Steele of the Whores - Latest News

The latest news should read "Early 2013 - Revamped the website. New clips will be up on the Audio/Video page later in the year". It does via my PC at home and yet library computers display an outdated message commencing "Late 2012 - ...".

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    STEELE OF THE WHORES - LATEST NEWS

Early 2013 -

Revamped the website. New clips will be up on the Audio/Video page later in the year.

That's what I see.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Cool. That's the right wording. Cheers, mate.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Sad to say, there is no meta tag to force the issue... Good news is, only a small percentage of networks still use "caching" for their networks... Used to be a big thing for smaller ISP's... But now its more for private or business networks...

Of the networks I manage that use caches... Its a 24 hour cache.

and to my knowledge there's not a browse or server command that can make a firewall cache ignore its directives.

Remove Ads