Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: How do I build a website directory like the biglocalapp.com site.

Member #

How do I build a website directory like the biglocalapp.com site.

first of all I would like to say hello to everyone. This is my first time on this forum and I am pretty hopeful being here.

I am on to learning how to build and design a website for my community. it is more like a business/places directory website where users can find a business in their area based on their locations. there is a site that I just came across that kinda suites what I had in mind Business Listing App | Welcome to the Big Local App | Local Business Directory Mobile App. it is pretty simple and easy to understand.
    i would like to build a website like that. it's something i would love to do myself and I guess it shouldn't be difficult to achieve.
    pls can anyone help me with some advice on the software that I would need to achieve this. what other things would I need for this ( like how and where to store the directory data for the site)?
    i hardly know much about web designing and building so I am hoping for a software/tools that would be easy for me to grab and use.

just to mention. I do not intend to build that exact website. the concepts and simplicity is what I am aiming at.

thanks a lot for the help.

bigapp site.jpg
    Last edited by booblacain; Jul 18th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Given that you're from Nigeria and this is a site that is based in and that targets England, I'm suspicious that this is a link drop...but given the followup question, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here.

Now, I'm going to tell you something you're probably not going to want to hear...there is no software that will do it is that you want. There are no W*rdPr*sses, there are no Drupals, there are no Joomlas, there isn't anything else on the planet that will do what they've done. If they've even used a framework of any sort (they may very well have and I'm not a PHP expert so I can't say), they've highly customized it, thought of things that others haven't, and put a whole lot of hard work into that site. That's what makes it look simple...the effort. They've spent a lot of time on this, and I tip my cap to them for that.

To give you an idea of the complexity of what they're doing, they take payments on their website. That alone can take several days to weeks to implement, depending on the payment processor, their API, any rules and regulations that may need to be adhered to, automatic rebilling, PCI compliance, and a whole bunch of other things.

Basically, the reason it looks simple is because of what you and I don't see under the surface.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I do not intend making a website that looks exactly like the one i gave as example. I just need a site that would enable people in my community search for small businesses around them based on their locations. for example, if a person comes into the community for the first time and he/she want's to know the restaurant or salon closest to him/her. I want to provide a site where such persons can easily type in a category (restaurant or salon) and the name of the street/area they(users) are currently in and all businesses in that category (i.e restaurant and salons) in or closest to that street/area will pop up.

by simplicity I mean without many graphics. basically a category input field(box), location input field(box) and a display area for lists of searched out businesses. something that is band-with friendly.

I go the idea for this when I needed a repair man to come fix my generator set and I couldn't find one that easily around the area where I was. it was a bit frustrating. it was not that they weren't there, it was just that they didn't have an easy way to find them. so I thought having a site and a mobile app where I can just type in 'generator repair' and 'name of my street/area', and then all generator repair businesses/men (with their addresses, short description and phone numbers) will be displayed.

so I am just a guy looking for a way to solve a problem for my community. I would really appreciate all the help that I can gather to set up this site.
    Last edited by booblacain; Jul 19th, 2013 at 01:46 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's kind of my point, though...there's a lot more work than the simplicity on the surface, as is the case with any good site. I know you didn't want to make an exact copy of the site, but even the basic functionality of a site like that is complex. You need to gather the data in a quick and easy way. You need to make the search intuitive. You need to test. You need to test some more. You'll need to keep testing. That's what I'm saying. It's not as simple as you would think it is.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads