Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Help! SEO and Photo Galleries

I'm just getting back into web design. I am using Dreamweaver CS6. I need to build a photo gallery and wanted to do a slider or flash and now everything I read says it won't be indexed, or fall very low in the searches. What do you recommend to use for the beautiful look I need and still get the site indexed well??

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    It will get indexed just follow normal SEO procedures for the keywords you want to target. It is true that a blog with a lot of written content may do better in the search engines than a website with little text, but don't let that stop you from designing your website. There are also other ways to market a website rather than just SEO.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I would recommend looking into Jquery photo gallery options...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't know what you read, but it sounds like either you misinterpreted it, it's a pantload, or (I suspect) a little bit of both.

The images in a photo gallery contained within a slider can absolutely be indexed, and for that matter so can any page they're on (provided there's nothing blocking them of course). Now, will you receive a lot of referral traffic for the photo gallery page from searches? It's unlikely, but not impossible. People do search for things using image search, for example....and appropriate text underneath the photo gallery can enhance the message of the gallery without harming the aesthetic feel of the page if done correctly.

Look at it this way...how many news sites have some sort of scrolling or rotating deal involving pictures on the home page? http://mlb.mlb.com/home]Here's one[/url]. And they're doing okay for themselves. There are lots and lots and lots and lots of others that I'm sure people could come up with if they wanted to, but this one alone should suffice. Granted, they have a lot more resource at their disposal than the average bear, but they still manage.

Usually sites that "fall low in the searches" and aren't indexed are victims of other self-inflicted wounds. A Javascript-based image manipulator isn't going to be the culprit. It just isn't.

By the way, I intentionally ignored the Flash part of your question...not because of SEO issues, but simply because Flash is beginning to lose steam (about friggin' time, as its pragmatic usage is marginal in the best of circumstances) and since it's not supported on certain OSes and devices.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you! Okay I guess I'll dump flash although i always liked it :-)
    Slider it is then....appreciate the recommendations and info!

Remove Ads