Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AlphaMare

Thread: So what exactly can I put in my portfolio?

Member #
    Liked
    181 times

So what exactly can I put in my portfolio?

I am working on my portfolio right now and I realized I have no idea what to put in it... What exactly can I put in a portfolio? Can I use websites that I made for free, for friends or family, for myself?

What is in your portfolio?
    Last edited by Andrew Yurlov; Jul 29th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Whatever I've built that I feel someone might be interested in seeing. I've done a lot of sites, but I don't mention the vast majority of them because 1) I'm not allowed to (white label agreement), 2) there isn't much interest in the site, or 3) because the site has since closed down and I haven't put it into my past projects yet (usually the business has shut down or whatever).

So it depends.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I don't have a portfolio as I don't need one, would not benefit me in the least as all my clients come from referrals of current or past clients so most are aware of skills and experience.

as for what you can put on your portfolio... Anything you have actually done is fair game for that.

just don't make the mistake that some I've seen do... They re-create or make some mock-up graphics of well know products ... And technically even though they have actually done the work... You're treading on trademark and or intellectual property issues...

i saw on someone's portfolio a while back... Some stuff from a major cell phone provider... They claimed to have worked on a graphics promotion ... So they decided to use it on their portfolio .... The problem is... There is no company that big... That would allow you to display that work... Their contracts always say "work for hire"... Which means you have no rights to display it as your work...

I will say, unless you do site that no longer exist as "previous projects"... Like TheGame said... Don't show them as just "I did this"... But the site is no longer live... Your current portfolio should focus on current live sites ... ( just my opinion )... Seeing just pictures of sites never impresses me, if anything, they just add a layer of suspicion to my review... "Why are all the sites this person has done, not live ? "... Or... "The person hasn't actually done a live site "... But I am suspicious by nature.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I try to keep my portfolio fresh, but I do not post every site I create. I recently finished an e-commerce site that I was looking forward to adding to my portfolio, but the client demanded so many design changes that I really don't like (hate) the look anymore and the changes affected the functionality (it breaks on mobile devices) so it's not going on there.

I think it is not enough to just post images - add a description of what you did - design, coding, database integration, etc., and links to the actual site are very important.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Your portfolio should consist out of your latest projects, that you are proud of showing to the public. This may sound fake, but show the good side of yourself. Always add a description, an image as well as a title to the particular project and do not forget to add a link to the website for example, if it is possible to do so.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Thanks for all the answers. I was kind of thinking the same things I just wasn't sure.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't necessarily agree with "the good side of yourself", for the simple reason that design is subjective. One man's trash is often another man's treasure. So what appears ugly to you may be exactly what someone else is looking for.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I don't necessarily agree with "the good side of yourself", for the simple reason that design is subjective. One man's trash is often another man's treasure. So what appears ugly to you may be exactly what someone else is looking for.
    That is true, as everyone's idea are different. By showing the good side of yourself I rather hinted to succeeded and failed projects. Here is a rather extreme example: You designed the branding, the website and a stationary set. The UX is quite great, but unfortunately not targeting the specific audience, which is responsible for a low traffic rate.
    Showing the UX design itself would be fine in this case, but the project should remain hidden.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Yes, taste is a personal and subjective thing, but I have done a couple projects (yes, I was that broke) that are so absolutely fugly that I would never in a million years want to do anything remotely like it again - why show it and run the risk of someone with the same phenomenally bad taste as the original client coming along and asking me to do so?
    KotaroDesign likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads