Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Why do I see so many Apple laptops everywhere?

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

Why do I see so many Apple laptops everywhere?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get your opinion on the topic:

Why are there so many Apple laptops everywhere?

My observation
    When I go to places like Starbucks, I always see a ton of Apple laptops. My nonprofit client had an office full of new desktop Macs and all these people everywhere with laptops in public seem to have Apple laptops and/or iPads. This is interesting, because Apple laptops cost at least 2x that of a Windows-based laptop with similar capabilities. Furthermore, I doubt people fully understand Macs.

My theories
    In the 90s, when I was a kid, Apple was crappy and programs on Windows like MS Office were so much better. Apple computers dominated schools, but if you asked any gamer, programmer, or person with a home computer, Windows was a superior operating system. Also, fricking Macs had no left click! I have a couple of theories as to why people gravitate towards Apple products so much nowadays:

Theory 1: Great marketing by Apple / People are sheep
    The commercials. The renaissance of Apple by Steve Jobs' getting rehired. The new-look Apple store. All of it screams luxury, minimalist, sleek+easy interface, and positive user-experience. Mission accomplished.

Theory 2: People want to be hip/cool
    This piggybacks on Theory 1, in that Apple products are "cool," while Windows are seen as dated (and thus they needed to rebrand themselves). This explains how so many tech-challenged people seem to own Apple products...

Theory 3: Mac OS is superior
    I haven't used anything greater than 10.4 MacOS, so I can't comment on this, but back in 2005, I found that Macs sucked with Word processing (MS Office for Mac was awful) and that I had a lot of problems trying to find programs for my Mac. Even a lightweight mp3 (not Itunes) was near impossible to find. And PC/Mac applications were always lagging in the Mac development. VLC player, for example, was buggy as hell on Mac. But maybe I'm missing something here? Because I understand that a lot of programmers and developers are using Macs now.

Disclosure
    I'm not hating on Apple. I happen to own an iMac G5, which I absolutely loved because it doesn't bog down overtime like a Windows computer and because I never owned an anti virus and never needed it - because all the viruses were Windows-based.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to get your opinion on the topic:

Why are there so many Apple laptops everywhere?

My observation
    When I go to places like Starbucks, I always see a ton of Apple laptops. My nonprofit client had an office full of new desktop Macs and all these people everywhere with laptops in public seem to have Apple laptops and/or iPads. This is interesting, because Apple laptops cost at least 2x that of a Windows-based laptop with similar capabilities. Furthermore, I doubt people fully understand Macs.

My theories
    In the 90s, when I was a kid, Apple was crappy and programs on Windows like MS Office were so much better. Apple computers dominated schools, but if you asked any gamer, programmer, or person with a home computer, Windows was a superior operating system. Also, fricking Macs had no left click! I have a couple of theories as to why people gravitate towards Apple products so much nowadays:

Theory 1: Great marketing by Apple / People are sheep
    The commercials. The renaissance of Apple by Steve Jobs' getting rehired. The new-look Apple store. All of it screams luxury, minimalist, sleek+easy interface, and positive user-experience. Mission accomplished.

Theory 2: People want to be hip/cool
    This piggybacks on Theory 1, in that Apple products are "cool," while Windows are seen as dated (and thus they needed to rebrand themselves). This explains how so many tech-challenged people seem to own Apple products...

Theory 3: Mac OS is superior
    I haven't used anything greater than 10.4 MacOS, so I can't comment on this, but back in 2005, I found that Macs sucked with Word processing (MS Office for Mac was awful) and that I had a lot of problems trying to find programs for my Mac. Even a lightweight mp3 (not Itunes) was near impossible to find. And PC/Mac applications were always lagging in the Mac development. VLC player, for example, was buggy as hell on Mac. But maybe I'm missing something here? Because I understand that a lot of programmers and developers are using Macs now.

Disclosure
    I'm not hating on Apple. I happen to own an iMac G5, which I absolutely loved because it doesn't bog down overtime like a Windows computer and because I never owned an anti virus and never needed it - because all the viruses were Windows-based.
    You're spot on w/theories 1 & 2. No. 3, not so much.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Definitely 1) and 2), but with a portion of the unlisted Option 4) People were brainwashed as children.

Why do I say that? Because, like some people on the planet, I was a child of the technical and cultural wasteland of the early 1980s. If we're being perfectly honest, it wasn't until the mid-to-late 1980s going into the 1990s that anything really awesome came about (e.g. the original NES, the PC itself, the original clones). The music sucked, the technology sucked (see Angry Video Game Nerd's review of ET for the Atari for more information), TV was on an aerial for the most part, and there just wasn't much going on. Kids were pretty much raised on the ultra-hot at the time Catherine Bach aka Daisy Duke (on a side note, eff you Jessica Simpson...you'll never be anything other than a vacuous blonde, and you're not Daisy Duke), the national expansion of WWE, some really tame sitcoms, and had to find a lot of non-technical ways to occupy their time; personally, I bowled and played baseball.

Apple took full advantage of this and started introducing their Apple IIs (I believe their IIes) into the school system in at least some areas; I lived in one of those areas, and as such my first exposure to computing came at the age of 7 or 8 learning how to move the little Logo turtle around. Because it was (at the time) pretty much the only game in town, kids grew up with it and grew used to it and swallowed the Steve Jobs Kool-Aid.

I don't necessarily blame Apple for doing this, either...it was smart marketing. Get into the heads of kids and when they become adults they'll pay 3 times as much for products than they should. They've flat-out dominated the MP3 player market as a result of this strategy. What I blame are the government institutions that allowed this to happen.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    My friend asked me what kind of computer he should get and I pointed him in the direction of a PC, but he ended up spending twice as much on a MAC which is his choice. Then a few weeks later he calls me up and asks if he can use my PC because his MAC couldn't do what he needed to get done. LOL
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Definitely 1) and 2), but with a portion of the unlisted Option 4) People were brainwashed as children.

Why do I say that? Because, like some people on the planet, I was a child of the technical and cultural wasteland of the early 1980s. If we're being perfectly honest, it wasn't until the mid-to-late 1980s going into the 1990s that anything really awesome came about (e.g. the original NES, the PC itself, the original clones). The music sucked, the technology sucked (see Angry Video Game Nerd's review of ET for the Atari for more information), TV was on an aerial for the most part, and there just wasn't much going on. Kids were pretty much raised on the ultra-hot at the time Catherine Bach aka Daisy Duke (on a side note, eff you Jessica Simpson...you'll never be anything other than a vacuous blonde, and you're not Daisy Duke), the national expansion of WWE, some really tame sitcoms, and had to find a lot of non-technical ways to occupy their time; personally, I bowled and played baseball.

Apple took full advantage of this and started introducing their Apple IIs (I believe their IIes) into the school system in at least some areas; I lived in one of those areas, and as such my first exposure to computing came at the age of 7 or 8 learning how to move the little Logo turtle around. Because it was (at the time) pretty much the only game in town, kids grew up with it and grew used to it and swallowed the Steve Jobs Kool-Aid.

I don't necessarily blame Apple for doing this, either...it was smart marketing. Get into the heads of kids and when they become adults they'll pay 3 times as much for products than they should. They've flat-out dominated the MP3 player market as a result of this strategy. What I blame are the government institutions that allowed this to happen.
    There probably was a strategic element to why I saw so many Macs in schools.

The only problem I have with your theory is that Macs in the 90s really sucked, IMO. Their GUI was quite ugly compared to Win95 and became super crappy when XP came out. Even in high school when those translucent and colorful Macs came out (imac g3), I found myself hating their keyboards (super small... and the mouses were circular and did not fit my hand well!!) and for word processing, there was considerable lag/delay in typing.

Maybe the 1st generation iPod was the gateway to public acceptance of Apple products? Because to me, before I got an iPod (which the Microsoft Zune had no chance against), I thought Apple was no good.

Again, I'm also asking because I do see a lot of programmer tech guys using Macs. And I would expect tech guys to have similar ideas as people on this board: buy the computer which helps you do your work the best, meaning best relevant applications and best interface.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx View Post
    My friend asked me what kind of computer he should get and I pointed him in the direction of a PC, but he ended up spending twice as much on a MAC which is his choice. Then a few weeks later he calls me up and asks if he can use my PC because his MAC couldn't do what he needed to get done. LOL
    Yes, I don't get this!! WTH????!!?

PS, my current work laptop sticker price was $290 from Best Buy in 2012. The processor is a bit dated (pentium), but aside from that, it's running like a champ. I have a hard time seeing myself paying $1300 for a mac laptop because of this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Presently the keyword "design" has a significant role on the market and, to be honest, Apple is doing a great Job at it. I like the simplicity of the OS, the light weight of the MacBook Air and I really have become emotionally attached to the devices, as I can look at them and feel proud that I can say "this is my belonging". I use Windows 7 via Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro, as I do occasionally like the user experience that Windows 7 grants me and I also test my web project on it.
    You see many people buying Macs for business related purposes, due to the easy transportation of the devices. I can't imagine taking a PC into starbucks for example and at sometimes I just like finishing off my work and studies in a cafe instead of spending the entire day inside of my home, where absolutely no people are. It becomes lonely after a while...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There probably was a strategic element to why I saw so many Macs in schools.

The only problem I have with your theory is that Macs in the 90s really sucked, IMO. Their GUI was quite ugly compared to Win95 and became super crappy when XP came out. Even in high school when those translucent and colorful Macs came out (imac g3), I found myself hating their keyboards (super small... and the mouses were circular and did not fit my hand well!!) and for word processing, there was considerable lag/delay in typing.
    I hear you on that. It was actually one of the reasons I dropped out of university...they insisted on using Macs for "programming", which meant that I had to go to the ultra-crappy overloaded computer lab to get anything done, as opposed to being able to work from the comfort of my dorm room with my computer. As you said, Win95 was definitely the nicer-looking OS at the time, and it wasn't all that bad to work on (I had a Win95 machine at the time). If Like you said, the keyboards were unresponsive, the mice were low-end and broke frequently, and they were just a poorly-constructed product.

This is where I think their overpricing actually worked in their favor. Bear in mind that most schools are at least partly funded by government, and government spending rules are to goldplate everything and max out their budgets so that they get them next year. This was about the time when clones started flooding the market and IBM was forced to somewhat compete with those, so even they couldn't play the "expensive designer machine" game with Apple. The product didn't have to be all that good...it just had to meet the government's bizarre "max out the budget" mantra.

This is one thing I've never understood about Apple...why no one has ever bothered to clone their products from a hardware and OS standpoint. Microsoft has come the closest from an OS point of view, but no one's really gotten all that close.
    Maybe the 1st generation iPod was the gateway to public acceptance of Apple products? Because to me, before I got an iPod (which the Microsoft Zune had no chance against), I thought Apple was no good.
    That may well be a factor, but I wouldn't say it's the only one. They've always had that image in the graphic community of "our products make pretty pictures and if you're not using them you're not cool" and that went back to the 20th century. My first client's original graphic / printing people used Macs exclusively and swore by them.
    Again, I'm also asking because I do see a lot of programmer tech guys using Macs. And I would expect tech guys to have similar ideas as people on this board: buy the computer which helps you do your work the best, meaning best relevant applications and best interface.
    Same here, but a lot of tech guys don't necessarily buy the products for the same reason. I know people that swear by Blackberry, and I also have friends that work directly for RIM that would tell you not to touch a BB with a 10-foot pole.

Ultimately, I always treated the Mac vs. PC thing as a matter of personal preference. I won't touch Mac myself, at least partly because I find their ads elitist and misleading and at least partly because I truly believe they had a plan to get into our heads as children (again, I don't blame them for the latter, but I'm not going to buy something if I suspect there's mental manipulation involved in my purchase). But I'm not going to get all militant about it, either...if you genuinely are more productive with a Mac than you are a PC, then knock yourself out with your Macbook Air for all I give a damn.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KotaroDesign View Post
    You see many people buying Macs for business related purposes, due to the easy transportation of the devices. I can't imagine taking a PC into starbucks for example and at sometimes I just like finishing off my work and studies in a cafe instead of spending the entire day inside of my home, where absolutely no people are. It becomes lonely after a while...
    Wait until you're married and have a child. Then working from home when they're gone will feel like one of those nature forest pictures. You're going to have to trust me on this one.
    AlphaMare and Ronald Roe like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Wait until you're married and have a child. Then working from home when they're gone will feel like one of those nature forest pictures. You're going to have to trust me on this one.
    Marriage sounds scary now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads