Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

What type of website do I need?

Hi,

I'm starting up a website and was hoping you guys could help advise me what type of site I will need, here is what I want to do.

Allow users to sign up and become free members of the site
    For site members, give them the ability to store details of aircraft they have seen..i.e registration, type, time, date and location by simple entry in a form which then are stored in a database.
    To provide stats based on aircraft they have seen in the past, such as number of times a certain registration has been seen etc
    I was thinking that I could use Wordpress and have a form on there which allows users to enter the details of an aircraft they have seen, which then go into a MySQL database....from that same database all sorts of information could be displayed, such as username of other aircraft enthusiasts that have seen the same aircraft, or enthusiats that also spot at the same location as places the use has seen aircraft.

I've made a start with Wordpress but not sure if its going to do what I want. Here is my site Home | Spottedplanes.co.uk

Only a very basic outline but hopefully someone could point me in the right direction initially

Hope you can help.

Gavin

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You could use WordPress for the task or any similar CMS to be honest, as all you are requesting is a form to make an entry into the MySQL database and a sign up feature. I am not sure, if there are any plugins out there, so I would recommend maybe changing the php functions of the specific CMS or hiring a web developer to do it for you.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Wordpress, Joomla, or Drupal should be able to do what you're asking. Just pick the CMS you're most comfortable with. Btw this sounds like a website for UFO sightings

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You can use pretty much any CMS mentioned here as most have "register & login" functionality built into their core.

but for the STATS its doubtful you're gonna find a plugin pre-built for the level of detail you need... So for that, you'll need a custom form and some custom scripting to be able to display the STATS....

you didn't go into any detail on your skill level, but I would consider this a mid-level type project that could probably be done quite easily ( of course I deal with DB's that have thousands of tables and millions of records so.... ).... Sounds simple enough to me... A knowledgeable developer should be able to do something like this in a few hours.

you would just need to define ( before you even ask ), what kind of data is to be collected and what data your going to want to display and how you want to display it... What kind of sorting you may want, any kind of "search criteria" you may want users to be able to search by...

once youve defined that, then you can start looking for a developer to out it all together for you.

Remove Ads