Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Webzarus
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Would You Ever Want to Offer Translation Services for Websites?

Member #

Question Would You Ever Want to Offer Translation Services for Websites?

For all you web designers out there:
    I know you can google translate to get the website translated, but the translation is never accurate and can mean really, really bad impressions for your clients. In my mind, web designers lose out on tons of revenue because they do not get their websites translated, but rather outsource the work to third-parties.

Would you be interested in partnering with a translation company so that you can offer website translation services to your client, and you could mark them up so you could make more money per website?

FYI:
    I run my own translation company and have developed great resources for over 38 languages (Common Space: A Language Resources Company EDIT: Link removed as per forum rules. AlphaMare. ). In the past, I have gotten all sorts of documents translated, but my favorite projects have been translating websites for individuals, and want to see if this would be a viable market to get into. This is not an ad. I want to take a poll to see if my idea is valid.Would You Ever Want to Offer Translation Services for Websites?
    Last edited by AlphaMare; Aug 11th, 2013 at 11:48 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I live in Queubec, where every website that is created for a client who also lives or has their primary place of business in Quebec, must have the site in both official languages, French and English. I have used a translator for my own site, as I am not fluently bilingual in written French, but usually my clients present me with their copy in both languages, ready to go.
    In certain cases, however, I'd be interested in looking at your services.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Every client I take on that has ever had the need to have a multi-lingual site has provided "native translation" by their employees.

for the few that came up out of the blue "wanting" a multi-lingual site, my question is always "why do you feel you need it translated?", the range of answers has be amazing... From "someone contacted me and told me I would get more traffic", to "if my site is multi-lingual, I'll attract more clients", neither of which have any basis, and its completely dependent on the site and its target market.

There is this "skewed" mindset that says, because your site is visible to the world that the site should be accessible to all who visit, there's only one problem with that, if Bobs heating and cooling company gets a request from say, Lima Peru, and the request is in their native language... Bob is going to waste resources and time to find out that it was a bogus or useless request.

i think most "relevant design companies" are doing pretty much what alpha and I are doing, if the client wants a multi-lingual site, its stipulated in the contract that they provide the content in whatever language(s) they require, and its OUR job to make sure the site displays properly for the different locations ( from where the visitor is requesting the site ).

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    In a word...no.

There are two possible scenarios related to translation:

1) The company doesn't have anyone in a customer service-oriented role that can read, write, and speak a particular language...in which case having the site translated at all is useless as there is no way for the company to serve any customers who only or primarily speak that language.

2) The company does have someone in a customer service-oriented role that can read, write, and speak a particular language...in which case having the site translated by a third party adds an unnecessary cost, as the employee could easily do the translations him/herself and do a better job of it. The employee would have more of an idea of what customers were saying and looking for in the translated language, and could speak to that in his/her written copy.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Wow, nice timing, WZ.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I do see the point of what WZ and GAme have said - in a couple of cases, though, my clients have not had a native-speaking employee to do the translation, and since it is the law here, not translating is not an option.

I have one client who speaks no French, deals only with English-speaking clients himself, yet he has to present his site in both languages because he offers a service to residents of Quebec from a location in Quebec. He ended up getting a friend to do the translation, but it was not of professional quality, it was very colloquial and had a lot of spelling errors.

Granted, this is a very specific instance, but it has occurred more than once with my clients.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If there was ever an example of excessive government intervention, this is it. If a business doesn't want to cater to the majority of potential customers in an area, it shouldn't be forced to pay lip service to those customers. They lose out on the majority, that's their problem. If the owner accepts that, that's fine.

I know of a computer store that is owned by Chinese people that refuse to cater to Caucasians. You know what I did when I found that out? I drove down the street to another store that was also owned by Chinese people and that did cater to Caucasians and gave them 5 digits' worth of business. I didn't need to complain to my MPP to put in a law to force business #1 to cater to me. I merely drove 2 minutes down the road.

It's not rocket science. It really isn't.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    If there was ever an example of excessive government intervention, this is it...
    It's an ongoing policy thing...
    cute.jpg

Remove Ads