Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Media Query Responsive Design

Member #
    Liked
    171 times

Media Query Responsive Design

I have spent most of the day trying to wrap my head around it and I still feel so far away from the prize and burnt out on top of that. I did find a great site Springload that shows you your site in all of the different devices so that is cool and hopefully it helps someone.

When I go to my site to apply what I have learned I can't convert that knowledge into actually working properly on the site. So my question is I am coding my site improperly and so when I try to code the queries it makes it to hard? See Fireproofgfx Graphic and Web Design & Washington State Representative Drew MacEwen (R) 35th District, Position 2 for example of my current coding. This is what I feel, maybe I over think my layouts and add divs inside of divs when it doesn't need to be there. I still need to learn more but I am going cross-eyed and can't see from starring at the computer screen all day.

Do you have any great resources for learning or getting better with Website responsiveness?

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    It's definitely possible to go in after the fact and shoehorn responsiveness in, but it'll look and act exactly like that: shoehorned. It's something that needs to be a consideration from the start.

Looking at your HTML, I didn't see anything I think might hinder responsiveness, but I did see this:
    HTML Code:
    <p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
    Anyway, here are the articles I used to get a grasp on it: Responsive Design with CSS3 Media Queries and Responsive Design in 3 Steps

And if you're still stuck, there's nothing quite like the original: A Book Apart, Responsive Web Design
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Thank you Ronald for the input and links! I know the <p> &nbs; </p> over and over again is a no no, which I forget to fix. Thank you for pointing that out.

Remove Ads