Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Live video streaming thru websit...HOW?? (NEW FORUM USER!)

I have built many sites & I'm OK with html, css, javascript, mysql, php, etc.. I need to figure out how to stream live video from 5 different cameras at my location (home) thru on of the websites, and be able to charge viewers to see them. What is the easiest way, and what is the best way to do this. (maybe not the same?)

I'm just looking for general guidelines at this point. I might need to hire someone to help me get it all set up?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Actually the easiest way to do this is buy a "DVR" based camera system or "controller"... That has the built in web interface ....

seriously, that is the easiest way.

yes, it can be done by creating an internal network ... Setting up an internal DNS server, setting up an internal web server, then creating a "DMZ" or natted connection between the outside network and the internal network.... And some "external DNS pointers" ...

I've done both for clients, and ended up with the same result...

actually most of the newer camera systems with DVR controllers, etc... Have a web interface and and a place to put your dydns settings ... So you can actually have it up and running in less than an hour.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's one other thing you probably haven't taken into consideration...terms of use of your ISP. A lot of residential ISPs frown upon this sort of thing because it takes up a ton of bandwidth and resource that could be used for other customers (or better yet, not used at all, which maximizes the ISP's profit margin). Check that first before you go any further.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yeah, forgot to mention that, but just another reason to use the pre-built system ... Similar to the "security camera" scenario at at all the big providers here in the states are pushing ( my own ISP is actually pushing and "intelligent home" system with cameras ), so if they denied you using a "home built" system, you would have a case against them for ( I forget the term ), but they cannot deny you from using a service similar to what they offer, buts its ok to use theirs.

You've also got to remember the "upstream" part of most residential ISP's is much lower than the downstream bandwidth ... One camera at a time, probably ok... 5 will probably look pretty bad... Unless you have some really good compression going on.

Remove Ads