Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My first experience with wordpress... I miss notepad ++

Member #

Unhappy My first experience with wordpress... I miss notepad ++

Hi all,

I'm brand new to wordpress - I used to write html and css with notepad ++ so I'm struggling to figure the WP layout out.

My problem is the header button on my front page. It was working fine yesterday, I did some work on other stuff and now that I'm testing it again it opens in a new tab.

I never changed the target and in fact I don't even know where I would find that. Styles.css? One of the 20 or so files I'm able to edit? The organization doesn't make much sense to me so I have not edited any files directly.

So far I have only worked with the WYSIWYG stuff like plugins, theme customization pages and widgets.

So could someone point me in the right direction? Where do I change it back to _self?

Thanks a million!

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I am the same way when it comes to WP where people with absolutely no skills come in and build a "do-able" website where I can not because I get so frustrated with these sorts of issues lol.. I refuse to learn WP now. So I am not much help but I understand what you are going through

Member #
    Fixed! Nevermind, I got it :-)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron237 View Post
    Fixed! Nevermind, I got it
    Would you care to share your fix? It may help others.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I think the frustration by the OP was actually spelled out in their post.

what the heck would the style.css have to do with links and targets ( other than how they look ), seriously, not to demean anyone or be to harsh, but it's all a out the logic...

I have little PHP experience, but I've been as ASP developer for ( let's his say I was a beta tester for it before it was released ), anyway, just like every other "development" logic, WP has a logic as well, and it's actually pretty basic... Yes, with some plugins it can get a little tricky... ( above my head ), but WP IS NOT something that you edit the "core files" on, unless you really know what you're doing and actually understand PHP.

Edit the crap out of your themes, edit the crap out of your style sheets... ( if you know HTML and CSS this should feel comfortable to you ), but if you edit the "core files", and you do an update to the "core" installation, all your changes will go away...

modifying and tweaking should definately be limited to the themes, style sheets, etc... Until you really understand the logic behind how all the files interact ( you can find a in depth structure on WP site ), you should probably stay away from the core files.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Webz - you're absolutely right - in WP "never touch the core" is one of the basic first lessons anyone should really take to heart.

Even when you're editing a theme - it's best to leave those files alone as well, and create a child theme with your customizations. That way when the theme is updated to keep up with the WP updates, nothing will break. (If you're lucky enough to find a theme that actually gets updated in sync with WP...)

But - and this is where it gets to be really fun - if you've got a host that will let you set up a couple of extra databases to play with, you can start deconstructing the core files and figuring out exactly what they do.

Seeing what functions are used , where and in which way (what kind of loop? for? while? foreach? do...while?

What are hooks and filters, and how do they work?

How can you create custom post types?

It can be a real blast!

But then, I'm the kind of person who would far rather do that, or play with other peoples' sites with "inspect element", than any other kind of online gaming....
    Last edited by AlphaMare; Aug 19th, 2013 at 08:23 PM.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I support your WP deconstruction initiative, Mare. Maybe you can rebuild it so that it doesn't suck anymore!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    That's been on my "personal project list" for a very long time... Would help me learn more about PHP as well.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Mine too, but not with PHP.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I'm still working on it - the structure is going to have to be radically altered for it not to suck at all - right now I'm just kind of hoping for "doesn't suck so much"! ANd it looks like I am still months away - it's a spare time thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads