Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Help with multiple screen resolutions needed

Hi,
    I am currently running a website for our local sporting club,
    I use software called webpage maker ( a simple drag and drop web page design program )
    My problem is, I have to stick to a 800 x 600 resolution as it will display properly on all users PC's
    as the software has no setting to allow the page to display on all size resolutions.

Is there any way to do this or any other easy drag & drop software out there that has this feature built in ?
    I have read up on it a little but this hasn't helped me..

Any help would be kindly appreciated...

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. .

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The simple answer, NO

the reason, any WYSIWYG editor is going to be limited in its ability to do any kind of design. Its going to do it "safely" , which means, its going to output bloated to that will display the same on all browsers, using tables and FIXED sizes.

to be able to design to fit the majority of browsers, it woul need to be able to design and output code based on % so the size of everything will adjust... Even if it were capable ( no program ou there I'm aware of ), the code it would output ( based on years of experience ), would be so heavy, any browser that would load it would be so slow, it would be painful.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You also didn't take into account two things.

1) Tablets.
    2) Smartphones.

The latter in particular is a big thing (don't ask me why, because browsing on a smartphone is like giving yourself a day-long wedgie when you wake up in the morning). You design for 800 x 600, your page is going to end up cramped on a smartphone, even if it's landscape oriented. And no WYSIWYG software in the world will help you with that alone (never mind what WZ said).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hmmm, I was not wanting that answer!!
    Thankyou so much for your reply.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No problem. Sorry the answer in your case had to suck. Unfortunately, that's the nature of WYSIWYG web editors...they're garbage, and if no one has solved the problem of making them even mediocre in the last 15 years, I don't believe anyone is ever going to.

EDIT: I understand why you'd want to use one, so that's not a knock on you. This has been a longstanding problem with WYSIWYG editors and their makers (the wix.coms, the Geocities back in the day, the Drupals, the W*rdPr*sses, even the CKEditors of the world).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Unfortunately, that's the nature of WYSIWYG web editors...they're garbage.
    I have never liked WYSIWYG editors and whenever I've used them they scramble your code up.

Whenever I've learnt about Tablet/Phone web developing I've always saw that "wrapping and content containers must be single-content and sized in percentages". I guess that's because of the way you can resize content on smart phones and tablets and flip from portrait to landscape. You might also want to start developing Tablet/Phone web pages by resizing your browser because that, in theory, is exactly what you're trying to develop; "something that fits on a phone/tablet screen."

I may be so wrong- never went into the subject before. I hope this helps.

Remove Ads