Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Very High Bounce Rate - 70% and up

Hi,

My website is a Wordpress site, using a highly customized Striking theme. I am using the Royal Slider Plugin for my slideshow, along with a couple other small plugins to have certain features.

I used to have a drag n drop flash style site and experienced a bounce rate of only 10% or less.

Ever since going to a wordpress site, my bounce rate surged to 50% and now over 70%. I have no idea why, when i go to my site, on my computers and phone it loads fast (i always clear the cache). I made sure to lower the image file sizes to keep the load speed up. I use the lazy load feature on my slideshow plugin.

Can anyone help me get it lower. Any design help is always welcomed too.

You can visit my site at www.jonmphotography.com

Thanks,
    Jon

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Typically bounce rate has less to do with the actual site and more to do with the links that people are following into your site.

without know what people are clicking on to get to your site you'll only be guessing ... And that's probably the worst thing you can do in trying to figure out how to lower your bounce rate.

Youll need to analyze log files to find the referral links that people are clicking on and then leaving because they quite simply realize the link they clicked on has nothing to do with what they thought it was.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I can't believe I'm about to say this...but you were probably better off with Flash.

WZ is right in that the referrers can be a factor, but I don't think it is in this case. Assuming you haven't changed anything else other than converting your site to W*rdPr*ss, here's what I see happening...you've got a W*rdPr*ss site with typical W*rdPr*ss code bloat. This isn't your fault...it's been a monolithic beast for years and is only getting worse. But where it affects you is that you've got several scripts and CSS files loading before any content loads, and it's partly responsible for your slowdown. Your images themselves make up the other part, and it looks like they're the bigger of the two parts. It doesn't look like they've been compressed especially well. Since your images were likely preloaded by the Flash, it likely rendered faster.

WebPagetest Test Details - Los Angeles : jonmphotography.com - 08/21/13 01:06:23

Now, will this get your bounce rate down to 10% by itself? Not likely. It should help, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Yeah no doubt, usually bounce rate is affected by content. Though a slow wordpress site would make users want to leave for certain. Try using a vps server with 256-512 php memory - apc object, database and page caching using W3 Total Cache. Also turn browser caching on.

Member #
    Oh yea, try these guys at [EDIT: link removed by TheGAME1264[ they have affordable vps with Varnish. Check out Varnish and im sure you will be interested.
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Aug 31st, 2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Link drop.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    bettis007: this is the one warning you're going to get about putting links in like that. The excessive one-line posts and the link drop are now two strikes.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus View Post
    Typically bounce rate has less to do with the actual site and more to do with the links that people are following into your site.

without know what people are clicking on to get to your site you'll only be guessing ... And that's probably the worst thing you can do in trying to figure out how to lower your bounce rate.

Youll need to analyze log files to find the referral links that people are clicking on and then leaving because they quite simply realize the link they clicked on has nothing to do with what they thought it was.
    Yes , I'm absolutely agree with you . If visitor is getting to a website that doesn't interesting for him then he will just go away .

WordPress news magazine themes
    Last edited by Designern1; Nov 06th, 2014 at 04:49 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's good that you agreed with him, but what you think he said isn't what he said.

Member #
    I agree with Webzarus, check if you're getting referral from site's like stumbleupon, this can increase your bounce rate. Also check what keywords are being used for your organic search results, you may consider changing some of the written content if the keywords don't match what your site is really about. Your site seems to load quickly, so I don't think that is an issue. What ever you do, don't go back to flash.

Remove Ads