Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Soundcloud-Similar site from scratch

So I'm looking to make a website that is almost identical to SoundCloud, specifically: individual user profiles, a stream based on users you "follow", & a unique mp3-player with waveforms and comments.

Obviously I would change key parts of my site to make it unique and the overall idea of the site is a good bit different, but I have a few questions to get me started.

1. Which language(s) should I focus on for the social aspects (following, user profiles, messages, etc)?

2. For the mp3-player & features, should I use a template and tweak it or write from scratch? If the latter, which language would be ideal?

3. What programs/services will I need (or would be helpful) to write, publish, and host my website? (I currently use Notepad++ and save all the fonts, images, code-files, etc in a folder but I'm interested in utilizing BuddyPress)

I am completely new to website design but I have taken classes and completed tutorials in jQuery, Javascript, HTML, CSS, and PHP and am totally open to learning new languages!

Any and all advice is welcome, thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DJTStill View Post
    I have taken classes and completed tutorials in jQuery, Javascript, HTML, CSS, and PHP and am totally open to learning new languages!
    Not to be Harsh, but if you've had classes in all of the above, Why are you asking this question ?

Seriously, I understand if they were just "online" fill in the blank classes, as you get what you pay for, but what you're asking for is so much more than anything you're gonna learn from "tutorials"...

PHP is what you need to focus on, without that, none of the other matters.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, WZ, harsh works in this case. Mind you, it's not in the way you're thinking.

DJTStill, the truth is that it doesn't matter which languages you pick up or which technologies you use. None of that is worth a damn in this instance, because nothing matters after the first sentence.
    So I'm looking to make a website that is almost identical to SoundCloud, specifically: individual user profiles, a stream based on users you "follow", & a unique mp3-player with waveforms and comments.
    That means you don't want to come up with an idea of your own, but you want to take someone else's idea because you think "oh, this site looks nice and/or functions well and probably makes its owner a ton of money based purely on speculation". That hasn't worked with the first million clone site ideas and scripts, and it's not going to work here. You not only hurt the site you're copying, but you hurt yourself due to the lack of originality associated with the "idea" that you have.

It's also going to fail because you don't really know what technologies you do/don't want to use. Specifically, you asked about BuddyPress. If you want to build a site that can handle hundreds of thousands of visits per month, you're not going to do with on the W*rdPr*ss platform with a slapassed plugin on top. PHP, maybe. Not WP.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    It's also going to fail because you don't really know what technologies you do/don't want to use.
    A little intimidating, but I see where you're coming from. Thank you both!

I don't think I quite came across correctly in my opening, based on your responses. Let me re-iterate, I am a complete noob at this. I've never even used W*rdPr*ss(?) or written any more than a basic webpage with html and css.

The classes and tutorials were, as WZ mentioned, free and therefore worth what I didn't pay for . The overall vibe I'm getting is that I need a lot more practice and have a lot of work ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    That means you don't want to come up with an idea of your own, but you want to take someone else's idea because you think "oh, this site looks nice and/or functions well and probably makes its owner a ton of money based purely on speculation".
    Also think I was mis-communicating about this. In no way am I trying to make the same site or anything remotely similar to the idea of SoundCloud in its entirety, but rather try to piece together some of the key components that SoundCloud, as well as thousands of other sites, utilize.

SoundCloud is just the only site that had all three of the elements I referred to and my site also happens to be music-based. I could have said Tumblr or Facebook. Both of which offer unique mp3-players and user profiles and the ability to 'follow' and message; SoundCloud was just the closest one to my idea.

However, I would like to address your point, TheGAME, and since I am not looking to make a "clone site or script", I'm wondering what I might do to avoid being labeled as such since I have a lot of respect for SoundCloud's service/site and would not want to hurt its image, nor mine. I assure you the entire site is far different but, for example, the waveforms/comments in the mp3-players; would that be something that is SoundCloud-specific and would be blatantly copied? Or if not, what might I focus on to ensure that there is a clear difference between the two sites?

I'm really glad that you have pointed me in the direction of PHP and away from WP. I'm going to look into some more professional, paid lessons, and possibly employ the help of some established designers that I know to help me get out of this 'noob-ditch'.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you want to differentiate yourself from SoundCloud, you're going to have to have some features that set yourself apart from SoundCloud and make sure your idea doesn't look or feel like it. You can get away with some similarities, but you need a unique selling proposition. How you come up with that is up to you (that's what makes it unique!) but you'll need one.

One thing you'll want to keep in mind is that a professional lesson doesn't necessarily mean that it's worth more than free advice. There are a few sites out there that give quite a bit of good free advice if taken in the correct context (e.g. Stack Overflow, CSS Tricks, WDF itself), whereas a lot of paid advice is provided by failed real-world "professionals". For example, there are many schools that still "teach design" using Dr*amw*av*r Design View and tables. Tabled layouts haven't been in play in several years now, but they're still being taught.

EDIT: I'm glad you answered the question the way you did. Usually whenever WZ and/or I hear of ideas like this, we're met with quite a bit of snark. The fact that you showed appreciation for the advice and understood its context will serve you in good stead and is appreciated in turn.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads