Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 2 Post By AlphaMare

Thread: Web Designing For A Complete Newbie

Member #

Web Designing For A Complete Newbie

So basically, I was robbed of my business idea of a classifieds website from this freelancer I had working for me and Iím never going down that road again. I want to do it on my own. That is the whole idea and I donít know where to start.

I've looked up a list of softwares I will have to learn to use and they are:

Dreamweaver
    Photoshop
    XHTML CSS
    InDesign
    jQuery
    PHP
    Adobe
    Illustrator

I don't know where to start and I figured since I'm getting into this, I'll do it properly and not use any shortcuts.
    Any ideas? I can give this a year with 4 hours of practicing everyday.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, "Adobe" isn't software. They're a software creator (they created three of the things on your list).

Second, learning several of those things on their own (e.g. PHP, Photoshop) can take up to the time frame allotted, depending on how quickly you learn and what you need / want to know. So you may not have enough time, depending on what you want to do. I'd start with the PHP end of it, since (X)HTML / CSS can be learned in concert with it. HTML5 might be a better alternative, though.

I'm not sure what else to suggest since it depends on exactly what you're trying to do, although the one thing I'll say is that if you just want to build a generic classifieds site don't bother. It's been done to death, the corpse has been reanimated, and then it was killed again.
    loserkidkarma likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks a lot for the reply. I get what you're saying (lol) but I'm going to carve out a niche for my website and what I'm going to be focusing on has never been done before. Not in India at least. But even if that doesn't work, I'll still have a knowledge of building a website and I would be able to make a living out of free lancing in this field.

So I'll start off with PHP and HTML5. But what software will I need to build a website on my computer? Like where do I practice creating the page lay out and stuff.

Again, thanks a lot. You have no idea how hard it has been for me to find somebody that actually replied.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A decent text editor such as Notepad++ would do the trick. That, and a server (you can configure your computer as a server) will do the trick.
    loserkidkarma likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Dreamweaver is the preferred HTML editor by far! IMO

Member #
    Start from Dreamweaver XHTML CSS , then learn Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator , then jQuery and PHP .
    I think this is the best choice .

WordPress news magazine themes
    Last edited by Designern1; Nov 06th, 2014 at 04:49 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bettis007 View Post
    Dreamweaver is the preferred HTML editor by far! IMO
    Dreamweaver is a very expensive piece of software that is constantly being upgraded (and you are charged for the upgrades).
    If Dreamweaver is used in code view, is an adequate code editor.
    If it is used in Design View, it produces bloated, ugly, heavy code that will sludge up your server and slow down your load times, thus losing you a fair percentage of your site visitors, because they won't want to wait around.

Notepad++ is a very good FREE code editor.
    TheGAME1264 and Webzarus like this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    w3schools.com is a good starting point for all of this. regardless of the editor you use, until you actually understand the basics, using any WYSIWYG is only going to SLOW down the learning process of what you want to learn...

notepad++ is gonna be the ticket if you want to actually learn

from what you've said... it's not just design, but development that you are seeking... so PHP and Jquery are in order, unless you want to or expect to use Windows based servers, then it's ASP.net you want to focus on

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hey mate

If you are brand spanking new and cash isn't that much of a limitation for you I have a few suggestions that may benefit you.

Different people have different opinions and techniques that work for you, so suit your plan to your learning style and strategies as opposed to say a guy on youtube saying it must be done his way or not at all if you get me.

To start off, I would definitely have a crack at a basic level of HTML and CSS and soak up as much as possible from the W3schools website as possible.
    To do this maybe try out a simple and small site to get used to the various elements using only the bare essentials (notepad). I know this will probably seem like a pain in the ***, however it will do wonders for you later when writing the code as you will not repeatedly make simple errors and wonder why it all doesn't work.

If you are anything like me and can't sit still have a look into the basics of photoshop use in between your coding practice!

Once you have felt comfortable in your progression and fluency with a basic level (and still want to go towards dreamweaver) take a look at lynda(dot)com for tutorials on the usage of dreamweaver and various coding tutorials. Even though it may still be slow going with the hours, some of the tips and tricks these guys use (for me) have proven very useful and great for saving time.

The next stage I would imagine you would want to take is checking out some of the CSS3 code and the new HTML5 and XHTML content. I believe that this would give you a decent visual site that worked however, looking at a larger scale you will definitely want to get familiar with PHP for extras such as forms, SQL for databases and/or jquery for added site power/visual effect.

If this seems fairly daunting, just remember you have a full year and if an idiot like me can do it, I'm sure you will be able to.

That's my advice, take it or leave it. As I said before everyone has their own methods that work for them, and this is what has worked for me.

As a fellow new guy to the forum welcome and good luck!

PS: I would be interested to know how you progress along the way.

Remove Ads