Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Need advice concerning universities for communication design & study plans

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Need advice concerning universities for communication design & study plans

Presently I live in Germany and am 17 years old. In the following year I will finish my finals and I am planning on attending a university for communication afterwards. Unfortunately, as I despise German laws, I would rather study in the US, instead of in Germany. I do not have to worry about requiring a visa, as I have a dual citizenship luckily.

My first issue concerns the location for studying. I do not know any universities for communication design in the US and I don't really want to choose them via Google Search, hence I kindly ask for any recommendations you are able to give me.

The second issue involves my financials. If I deduct the cost for the flight, I will only have approximately $6000 USD available, which won't last long at all. I do work partly as a freelancer and will probably earn a few hundred dollars per month, but that won't solve the issue in the long run. Therefor I am thinking about firstly searching for a part-time job and taking a student loan, although I may regret this later on, or instead try searching for a job for about a year, save up some money and then attend university. The problem occurring in the process of this is the job market, which will be a bit of a gamble in my case.

On the side I have no family members that would be able to support me financially.

Now my questions concerns which university for communication design would be a good choice and how to fix the financial issue.

Also I would probably have it more difficult here in Germany, not because of the study fees, but because of the German law which does not grant me the permission to work as a web designer until I have a sufficient qualification and bureaucracy has never been better either...

I really appreciate your help on this one
    Last edited by KotaroDesign; Aug 28th, 2013 at 06:04 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't have any recommendations for a US university since I'm not from there, although one thing that might lower your costs somewhat (and increase your likelihood of eligibility) is to go to a college first and then finish off at a university.

As far as the job market goes, www.odesk.com might be of use to you.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I don't have any recommendations for a US university since I'm not from there, although one thing that might lower your costs somewhat (and increase your likelihood of eligibility) is to go to a college first and then finish off at a university.

As far as the job market goes, www.odesk.com might be of use to you.
    Thank you for your piece of advice. How much lower are the fees for a college compared to a university? Also I have already signed up at Elance and am now joining odesk.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Generally in Canada, they're quite a bit lower (like 50-60% or more). Not sure about America, though.
    KotaroDesign likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Generally in Canada, they're quite a bit lower (like 50-60% or more). Not sure about America, though.
    That would certainly make quite a difference for me.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    heh I bet it would.

The funny thing about it is that the colleges here, particularly the private ones, are generally held to a higher standard. The people who come out of colleges have to learn something before they get out, as opposed to the four-year beer and pot parties we call universities. One of my best friends went to CDI College and took computer programming for ten months and now works with multi-million-dollar bank software.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    One other thing...whatever route you decide, do your homework on the school(s) that you're interested in and make sure they're going to teach you something you can use. And for the love of GOD, don't go to Everest College.

(Yes, that is a completely legitimate commercial...except that they removed the phone number. I cannot verify if that's the real Tupac, however.)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    One other thing...whatever route you decide, do your homework on the school(s) that you're interested in and make sure they're going to teach you something you can use. And for the love of GOD, don't go to Everest College.

(Yes, that is a completely legitimate commercial...except that they removed the phone number. I cannot verify if that's the real Tupac, however.)
    I just searched a bit online about this Everest College and damn there are some nasty reviews. Will definitely avoid that one, thanks for the help!

Remove Ads