Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Dreaded Question: Forum Host & Builder

Member #

Exclamation Dreaded Question: Forum Host & Builder

New to webdesign & Need help - Urgent

Hi, I need to put together a website as quickly as possible, with it's one of its main feature being a forum (I know... ). I am new to I definitely require a website builder included. I would also need a host, so if I could get that in one place it would be preferable.

The big question - free or paid? I'm not sure yet if I will keep this project long term (due my lack of confidence that I'll be able to pull it off this time), free is my first choice. Or at least a free trial, so I can get a feel for whether or not it's the right fit for me (translation: that I have the skills/experience necessary). I do have a 'bigger picture' project in mind, but if this first one is successful, I will stick with it, and just continue to modify, expand & improve it with time (in that case I wouldn't mind paying for it).

The base theme of this site will be beauty & fashion, so I do have to be able to make it "esthetically pleasing" [trendy, sleek, sophisticated (looking)].

I was told to try weebly. I am using it as a very temporary solution (1 or 2 days at most), because I am extremely unhappy with it. I know this is very vague, so if any more info is required - let me know & I'd be more than happy to elaborate.

Desperate for recs.
    Last edited by Olivyah; Sep 01st, 2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Seriously? I can't even get the smilies to work. And I didn't disable them.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's not a bad question...at least not as bad as you think it is. However, here's your big problem...you're trying to get a website builder to do things that website builders just aren't capable of doing for the most part. You're focusing on beauty and fashion, so that means you're probably going to want some pretty graphics. That alone takes pretty much everything there is off the table. You're going to need something like Photoshop or (possibly because I've never used it) GIMP to do the graphic stuff, then you need a way to upload the images you create.

Even if you can find a free script to do what you want other than the pretty graphics (and even that's not likely, as most free website builders/scripts are Mickey Mouse and very limited), you're still going to need to pay for hosting if you want to do something that decent, and at least a few bucks a month ($5-$10). Or, if you don't want to pay for hosting until your site is built, you're going to have to find a computer and turn it into a web server so you can muck about with it until you get it working as most of the free hosts are junky and not meant for anything...well, good.

So basically, you're probably not going to find a recommendation, even if you went into specifics. The reason is that the few details you've provided are sufficient to say "okay, there just isn't much, if anything, out there". Unfortunately, you've got a harsh reality to deal with.
    Olivyah and bleau canon like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    So sorry i didn't reply sooner. I just wanted to let you know I received your reply, and even though it was a bit a bit of a blow (or reality check I didn't want to face), it was really appreciated and did help me out.

I had to rethink it all and decided the forum idea isn't going to be possible (at least not anywhere in the near future). Which is a good thing, because instead of wasting a load of time trying to figure it all out, my focus is back on my main project.

Thanks again!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No problem. I'm just glad you understood what my intentions were here. A lot of people lash out when they hear things they don't want to, and you didn't do that. So that's much appreciated on my end.
    Olivyah likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads