Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By kralcx
  • 2 Post By Webzarus
  • 3 Post By mlseim

Thread: Transferring Domain Name

Member #

Transferring Domain Name

How do you transfer a domain name over to WordPress? If I were to purchase a domain name and host with GoDaddy, how do I transfer that domain name over to WordPress so that I can build my website on WordPress?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You can install WordPress and host it yourself on GoDaddy servers.

WordPress ? Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS <-- you can download it here.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    EDIT: I just realized that your original post was about creating your WordPress site on WordPress, and hosted by WordPress. In this case, you cannot point a domain name to them, as you have no access to their server. I'll leave my "long-winded" reply below just because it took me so long to type.

=========

A domain name is "just a name", like 'webdesignforums.net'. It is hosted on a server, not necessarily your webhost, but it usually is hosted by your webhost because you most likely purchased a webhost account and also picked-out an unused domain name.

On your webhost (website) control panel, you'll tell your webhost what domain name to be looking for. On my shared webhost, I enter that in the 'parked domain' name section. It might also be in a section called 'domains hosted by other companies'. Your webhost control panel has a thing that tells you the DNS server names (there are usually two of them). These are the two things you write down, because you'll need to use them when you set-up your domain name. Your webhost probably called them "primary server" and "secondary server".

Now you go to the place where your domain name is hosted. You could be using the same company as your webhost, or someone else (doesn't matter). Go to the DNS section and enter the "primary server" and "secondary server" names that were given to you by your webhost.

So here's the connection:
    1)Your webhost knows what domain name they need to be looking for. You would have told them what it is ("parked domains"? or "domains hosted by another company"?)
    2)Your webhost provides two server names (the "primary" and the "secondary" names) that are responsible for your website.
    3) Your domain host, which already knows your domain name, is given those two server names.
    4) Now, both the web host and domain host know each other.

If you purchased a webhost account AND a domain name from the SAME provider (webhost company), they will have already linked the two together. You need not take any action. But know that even in that case, if you ever create a new website somewhere else, you can point your existing domain name to your new site by following the same steps above.

As you can probably tell, this is how people purchase several domain names .com, .net, .org, and point them ALL to their website. As long as your webhost knows what domains they need to pay attention to, you can have as many domain names pointing to your site as you want (or however many your webhost allows).

FYI: When pointing a domain name to a webhost server, it can sometimes take 24 hours for the change to propagate across the internet. Don't expect your domain name to work instantly after you change the DNS server names.

Oh ... and WordPress is just a PHP script that you upload to your website directory. It's the same as any other PHP script and has nothing to do with your domain name.
    Last edited by mlseim; Sep 09th, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    you can use your domain name on wordpress dot com if you pay them.
    Custom Domains | WordPress.com Store
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    You can change the name servers so that your domain name points to the new location.
    You should be able to do this via your domain name management area.
    Or you can fully transfer the domain name to another company.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by pilartorres; Dec 22nd, 2013 at 05:11 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparta View Post
    How do you transfer a domain name over to WordPress? If I were to purchase a domain name and host with GoDaddy, how do I transfer that domain name over to WordPress so that I can build my website on WordPress?
    If you are going to go to the trouble of getting a domain name and web host (don't use GoDaddy they supported SOPA) don't build on wordpress.com; self host your own wordpress site (download it from wordpress.org). This way you control all of the content and not wordpress and have total control over how you decide to customize your site.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    @Sparta,

I'm with GoDaddy and came across your post.

There is no need to transfer the domain name away to host it with WordPress, you can simply point the domain to them. You can follow the instructions at the link below on how to accomplish this:

Mapping Your Domain to Work with a WordPress.com Blog | Go Daddy Help | Go Daddy Support

If you have any questions don't hesitate to reply or feel free to send me a private message.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kralcx View Post
    If you are going to go to the trouble of getting a domain name and web host (don't use GoDaddy they supported SOPA) don't build on wordpress.com; self host your own wordpress site (download it from wordpress.org).
    so let me get this right, let's use a personal agenda to tell the poster not to use a particular service

and then throw out a generic "self host" statement that's almost just as meaningless as the next 5 lines.

nice

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I've done so many WordPress sites for other people ... on about 5 different webhosts. I've never had a security breach, I've never had the site crash. I do nothing special with security, I use only a few plugins for content management. I don't give a darn about SEO plugins, and I don't use any "security" plugins.

1) Make backups periodically (theme directory and database).
    2) Keep WP updated to latest revision (and the plugins as well).

That's it.

If someone hacks it some day, I'll just delete everything, re-install WP, clean-up any bad theme files and start over. It's not that big of a deal. It's the internet ... don't take it so seriously!

If your site has really secret, confidential, financial, or sensitive content, you should no be using a shared webhost to begin with.
    Last edited by mlseim; Oct 09th, 2013 at 06:50 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I've seen WP crash and get hacked so many times now that it's disgusting. Just this past week, I had to add in an .htaccess hack to password-protect the WP-admin directory for a client of a client whose WP site was getting brute force attacked for the second time in a month. That means I had to password-protect a section of the site that had WP's own password protection.

The whole idea behind updating and backing up periodically appears to make sense on the surface in general, and it certainly does for W*rdPr*ss. The problem with that line of thinking is that, if you built the site properly in the first place and you either have a host that automatically backs things up for you, a dedicated server or VPS with a scheduled backup option set (Windows Server with 3 hard drive is awesome for this), or some other form of automated backup, then you don't need to waste the time and your client doesn't need to waste the money paying you to update WP every time there's a patch because Anonymous Script Monkey #11,974 hacked it in an attempt to "SEO" a pharma site. It's not like the updates are semi-annual, either...they're at least once a month now.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads