Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

General Questions

These questions may seem dumb to some people, but I would like to know the answers to some of them. I appreciate the help.

1) I am a student studying web design right now. So far most of the classes are pretty straight forward. This quarter I am taking a class in MYSQL, which I am not too fond of. Just how much MYSQL and database programming does a web designer use and need to know? I always pictured web developers using MYSQL more than a web designer, but I could be wrong.

2) I don't really know how this process is usually handled, but how does a web designer go about delivering the product to the client? I know a lot of the basic stuff when it comes to web design, but I do not know how the client to web designer business side is handled. A lot of the Does the web designer pay for the hosting and domain name for the company to use the site, or does the company do that and the web designer hands them the code when it is all finished?

3) I am graduating pretty soon. I would like to say that I am fully prepared to leap into the web design world, but I just don’t know. I know creating a portfolio is the best way to start out. Do you think a fresh web designer would benefit more from an intern position than actually starting out right away? I would just like to know if it would be a dumb decision to charge a really low cost, to just get a handle on things so I get more experience with customers and how much I am worth.

Sorry for the insanely long post. I appreciate all of the help!

Thanks,
    Notnoshade.
    Last edited by Notnoshade; Sep 10th, 2013 at 11:49 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    1) Depends on what path the designer/developer takes. As a developer, I personally use MySQL very little...although I primarily use MS-SQL, and in some cases Microsoft Access, to do what I want.

I do recommend, however, that you learn at least one database management system and at least one server-side programming language and learn it well. Designers are like paper...dirt cheap and easily recycled. Developers are a different story.

2) That also depends, but in this case on the client. Sometimes you'll need/want to take care of the hosting yourself. Sometimes the client will have a host in mind. I always have one default recommendation (Sectorlink) but as long as the host has what I want on it, I'm not overly picky.

Domain registration should always be the client's responsibility, as it allows for protection of assets in the event of a dispute.

3) Once again...that depends. Do you plan on keeping the first few clients? If so, a low starting rate might be detrimental because it's very difficult to raise a rate. You can intern if you like for experience, although I'm not a big fan of that if it's a for-profit. If you intern at a not-for-profit, that'd be a little better.

So you've got options, although none are particularly good.

By the way, I do realize that I've answered none of your questions conclusively. The truth is that no one really can...there are too many variables and the ultimate choice is up to the individual.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I think game hit the nail pretty hard on the head here but heres my two cents anyway:

1) Depending on your target market and client specifications you may need none, some or a lot. It pays to be prepared.
    2) For data transfers, use something that works for both you and the client and is secure. For me my target market is local and can therefore walk up the street and hand a portable storage device and process the transfer there.
    3) In my opinion, do what will achieve your goals but if you take the hard path be smart about it.

Remove Ads