Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RDesignista

Thread: Best practices when selling your desings

Member #

Best practices when selling your desings

Hi, I'm new into webdesing and also to this site which is great btw
    Over the year webdesing became my hobby and I was trying to get better and better at what I'm doing. Everything I have ever done was just for my educational purposes and now I thought I would try to make some money of few my designs and ideas so I wonder what are the best practices in html, css, jQ, php when trying to sell your work?
    I'm completely self taught and surely I have developed some bad practices along the way. Can you tell me what would you don't like to see if you bought piece of design,website, etc..
    My first attempt at selling my work would probably be at themeforest.com what are you opinions on this site? Is there a better place?
    I know my English is not that good since its not my native language but I think you will understand

Junior Member Acamapichtli_Design's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    For improving your coding, check out some free articles at about.com and also checkout a book called Hard Boiled Webdesign by Andy Clarke from Stuffandnonsense.
    To get yourself out there, start by making your own site, publicize on facebook, google+ and so on and sign up for a freelancer site like Elance and Peopleperhour (don't try Freelancer.com, long story), oDesk is fairly good as well. Try maybe making some CMS themes, or maybe make a site for your friends to add to your portfolio, in this business, portfolio and reputation is everything.

Bad design :
    Table web layout
    Flash based website (not always though)
    Images for buttons (bad for SEO)
    Comic Sans
    Cluttered layout
    Divitus and Classitus

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Well, believe it or not, a lot of buyers on Themeforest won't care if you have good code or not - they want something that looks sexy and/or has good reviews. Case in point: a theme I helped a client fix had all sorts of bugs, poor CSSing, and no updates at all. It still sold 200 this year and has a 3 star rating (it was 4.5 stars earlier this year). Lots of buyers on Themeforest aren't hardcore web developers, but rather, marketing guys or webmasters that have casual web skill and want to put together a nice website on a budget.

So, if you want to sell, first think of building something sexy and unique and responsive. Cause that's what sells. Or you can try making niche themes.

As for good coding, it's a long term investment - it takes a while to develop proper techniques and most of your clients can't tell good coding from bad, but you'll be able to benefit from it your entire career. Also, it's a good idea to know W3c standards, HTML-SEO relationship, and to be active in a forum like this. The knowledge you get here will save you lots of time and give you good direction.

Remove Ads