Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: I need a presentation tablet. Ipad? Screen RT? Other?

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

I need a presentation tablet. Ipad? Screen RT? Other?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get your opinion on electronic equipment for presenting to clients. I'm currently looking at Amazon for reviews, but I'd like to get your opinion.

My need
    I want to give a more professional presentation. Right now, I'm doing okay, but I bring my work laptop, which has stickers allover the lid and two keys missing (I removed my right side **** and ctrl buttons so that I can find my arrows keys without looking). I had an acquaintance give me a PDF presentation on his IPAD using the power of touch-screen and that totally blew me away, esp. because a similar presentation on a laptop would look awful.

As you all know, marketing is very important, so a nice presentation would really help in terms of closing clients and also to help increase perceived value of your services.

What I'm looking for in a tablet
    I know that everyone talks about apps, but I don't need apps. Or games. I just need Skype, a browser, and possibly something that would help me draw. Oh, and peripherals would be nice. I can't believe the iPad doesn't even have a USB port. I saw a web ad for the Screen RT with the keyboard, and that's pretty cool.

Sidenote: I've got the most dated gadgets
    My phone: Nokia 6300, brick-style, came out in 2007
    My laptop: Asus laptop I bought last year on clearance w/ Pentium Processor
    My camera: Panasonic Lumix from 2007 (see)
    My motorcycle: 2004 GS500f, carburetors, not fuel injected.

So I guess I could use some equipment upgrades
    Last edited by RDesignista; Sep 25th, 2013 at 10:12 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If you're self employed and able to claim expenses, go for the iPad - if only because clients seem to trust 'design professionals' with apple products more than a geek with a PC.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachine View Post
    If you're self employed and able to claim expenses, go for the iPad - if only because clients seem to trust 'design professionals' with apple products more than a geek with a PC.
    Yes, I absolutely was thinking of listing it as an expense. I have 0 desire to buy one just for recreational, personal use.

And it's interesting that you mentioned the OS stereotypes. I guess that's the power of Apple's branding - the general populace will equate Apple users to being design professionals who arehip and trendy, while a PC guy is old, outdated, and a nerd in a basement. At the same time though, I don't advertise myself as a designer. Thanks for the insight.

But my question was more of an issue of tablets in general. I did some shopping on Amazon. I found out that Samsung has a Tab. Google has a Nexus. Coby has a $90 tablet (not buying though, because I already know from buying their $2.99 headphones that their product durability is sh*t!). I've seen online ads showing off Windows Screen RT. And of course, there's the iPad. And the iPad2. And the mini. And some Retina Ipad going for $1000?? I feel like the prom goers in Back to the Future when Marty McFly starts playing Johny B Good.
    Last edited by RDesignista; Sep 26th, 2013 at 05:45 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Not sure what you're looking to spend, but I have the Windows 8 (not RT, full Windows) Acer Iconia W510, and I love it. You can buy it without the attachable keyboard, but the keyboard has a USB, touchpad and its own battery, which doubles the battery life of the tablet to 16 hours. And I can vouch that it'll last at least that long, if not more. The tablet itself has a micro USB port, and comes with the adapter dongle so you can plug in full-sized USB cables. It also has a mini HDMI port, which would make it pretty easy to plug in for presentations. It doesn't come with that adapter cable, but they're not that expensive. Other than that, standard tablet fare: 10.1" screen, bluetooth, NFC, webcam. There is a Skype app, as well as most others you need, and anything they don't have as apps, you can just use desktop software. And I'll be honest, I don't take my laptop on the road anymore. I just keep everything on my Skydrive and use the tablet for development until I get back. I paid $700 for it, and I feel like it was worth it. Right now, Best Buy is selling it for $580.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista View Post
    Coby has a $90 tablet (not buying though, because I already know from buying their $2.99 headphones that their product durability is sh*t!).
    Dude, you also bought $2.99 headphones. You have to expect that. That's what makes them $2.99 headphones. I buy cheap headphones on a regular basis for my gym MP3 player and Coby's are one of the few that seemed to stand up to a little bit of hardcore sweating/wear and tear. They eventually wear out because the pads are foam and sweat water + foam = eventual spontaneous deterioration, but that happens to all of them, and like I said I got a good few months out of them...that's all I could reasonably expect, given what I do with headphones. I buy them to abuse them, which is why I refuse to spend even $10 on a set. I sweat, I listen to things such as Joe Satriani, I f**k 'em up, I pitch 'em, I get a new set. So Coby's headphones are "okay".

That isn't to say all Coby products are good. They're a low-end manufacturer. I also have a Coby MP3 player (largely due to my refusal to ever buy an Apple product, and to spend 3x as much money for the "privilege" of calling myself an iPod owner, and again this is for gym abuse purposes). It works overall, but it's very difficult to fast forward through a track (in particular, podcasts) and "random" is a pseudo-random mathematical calculation that plays your list of songs and plays them in a different order...but the same "different order" every time. But again...low end manufacturer. I have to expect things like that.

Now that I've fully digressed, on to your question. Personally, I wouldn't get a tablet for what you're doing...a laptop that isn't dated and doesn't have stickers on it should suffice. I've used my laptop for presentations for the last several years and it's never been a problem. The only advantage a tablet really has in that environment is that it's smaller. It's not going to give you the same processing power. You're not going to be able to type as quickly on a tablet, especially if you have ever taken any typing courses. And I personally have never run into anyone who held my refusal to ingest the rainbow fruit Kool-Aid against me...in fact, I've found more support for not succumbing to the brainwashing than I would have had I caved in (saved myself a buttload of money, too).

What I would suggest you do is look at some of the refurbished products out there, particularly anything "factory refurbished". Now, refurbished products get a bad rap, and some of it's deserved...there are a lot of crappy refurb products out there with scratches, dents, etc. It really depends on who refurbished it and how, which is where "factory refurbished" comes into play...a lot of their stuff is merely open box, store returns because "I don't like it", and things like that. There's nothing even cosmetically wrong with the product, and the product often carries a new product warranty (another thing to look for). It's just that someone else had it first. If you want to extend your search a bit further, look for "open box" models. The same logic applies...nothing physically or cosmetically wrong (if you can inspect it), new product warranty, about 30-40% cheaper. It requires some intelligence and patience on the part of the consumer, but it's well worth it.

I picked up a Lenovo laptop for $244.99 last year because it was refurbished. The same laptop was selling new for $549.99 at the time, but it was a one-day sale, I needed one at that particular moment in time, and it's been fine for what I wanted to do with it. I use it at least once a day and it works. No one could tell by looking at it that it was an RB, either, and "client image" won't be affected by it either.

So that's what I'd suggest...save a few hundred bucks, arm yourself with a bit of knowledge, and shop the RB market. You definitely have the intelligence to pull it off...you just need the experience to pull it off.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    Not sure what you're looking to spend, but I have the Windows 8 (not RT, full Windows) Acer Iconia W510, and I love it. You can buy it without the attachable keyboard, but the keyboard has a USB, touchpad and its own battery, which doubles the battery life of the tablet to 16 hours. And I can vouch that it'll last at least that long, if not more. The tablet itself has a micro USB port, and comes with the adapter dongle so you can plug in full-sized USB cables. It also has a mini HDMI port, which would make it pretty easy to plug in for presentations. It doesn't come with that adapter cable, but they're not that expensive. Other than that, standard tablet fare: 10.1" screen, bluetooth, NFC, webcam. There is a Skype app, as well as most others you need, and anything they don't have as apps, you can just use desktop software. And I'll be honest, I don't take my laptop on the road anymore. I just keep everything on my Skydrive and use the tablet for development until I get back. I paid $700 for it, and I feel like it was worth it. Right now, Best Buy is selling it for $580.
    Thank you so much for sharing RR.

One thing that I thought was inferior about the ipad was that it's native, touchscreen keyboard would mean any typing I would do would be much slower... since there are no physical cues to help our fingers develop muscle memory. So actually, it would mean that I couldn't do any website development on the ipad. I also realized that the dang thing only has 1 input - an odd shaped one just for the charger. If I wanted HDMI, USB, I'd need to get an adapter.

Your hybrid tablet/laptop looks really sleek. It's basically like the Power Rangers Megazord - it's strongest when it's all together, but it can disassemble into a smaller, more convenient piece. And yes, I am thinking of presentations in mind. Thank you for mentioning that. If I need to meet with a room full of people to discuss ideas, I'd love to go into drawing mode, hook up my tablet to their monitor or TV via S video, hdmi or whatever else is out there. I used to be a teacher in a classroom of 40 students in South Korea. The public schools all were given a grant to make a room with a large screen (must've been an an 8 foot screen) hooked up to a PC, both of which had touch screen abilities. The tools did wonders for my presentation and for engaging students. And when I changed jobs and went back to a blackboard (the school didn't even have a whiteboard), the difference was sorely apparent.

Oh so many options...

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Dude, you also bought $2.99 headphones. You have to expect that. That's what makes them $2.99 headphones. I buy cheap headphones on a regular basis for my gym MP3 player and Coby's are one of the few that seemed to stand up to a little bit of hardcore sweating/wear and tear. They eventually wear out because the pads are foam and sweat water + foam = eventual spontaneous deterioration, but that happens to all of them, and like I said I got a good few months out of them...that's all I could reasonably expect, given what I do with headphones. I buy them to abuse them, which is why I refuse to spend even $10 on a set. I sweat, I listen to things such as Joe Satriani, I f**k 'em up, I pitch 'em, I get a new set. So Coby's headphones are "okay".

So that's what I'd suggest...save a few hundred bucks, arm yourself with a bit of knowledge, and shop the RB market. You definitely have the intelligence to pull it off...you just need the experience to pull it off.
    Thanks GAME. I'm actually really frugal, so an iPad would normally not make sense at all for me. However, marketing-wise, I accept the fact that clients may pass judgement on my skills, professionalism, punctuality based on non-relevant cues like what gear I have, so refurbished and floor models goods would be smart - get the goods I need, but at good value by sacrificing things I don't care about (newness).

As for COBY, yes, I was ranting a bit. I know that they're biz model is opposite of Apple: sell a lot at a ridiculously low price and take low margins. In fact, I have a pair in my backpack that has awful quality, but I use specifically in case I forgot my regular headphones. They are what we think they are and I accept them. I've been buying them since high school. It's not like they spontaneously combust - they just suffer from the same problem that all headphones do - worn wire near the plug. It's just they peter out a lot earlier than others.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista View Post
    Thanks GAME. I'm actually really frugal, so an iPad would normally not make sense at all for me. However, marketing-wise, I accept the fact that clients may pass judgement on my skills, professionalism, punctuality based on non-relevant cues like what gear I have, so refurbished and floor models goods would be smart - get the goods I need, but at good value by sacrificing things I don't care about (newness).

As for COBY, yes, I was ranting a bit. I know that they're biz model is opposite of Apple: sell a lot at a ridiculously low price and take low margins. In fact, I have a pair in my backpack that has awful quality, but I use specifically in case I forgot my regular headphones. They are what we think they are and I accept them. I've been buying them since high school. It's not like they spontaneously combust - they just suffer from the same problem that all headphones do - worn wire near the plug. It's just they peter out a lot earlier than others.
    Yeah, I hear you. But they do have a model with an L-shaped adapter, which I've anecdotally found doubles the lifespan of the headphones, if not longer. Now, what I do with them is radically different...I wear my MP3 player on an armband while I work out, so a straight plug basically crushed into my bicep and would wear out quickly because of that. The L-shaped adapter prevents that from happening because you're not pressing in on the point where the wire connects to the plug. I'm not sure if you're doing anything similar, but if you are, they're a huge benefit.

With me, like I said, the problems are worn wire near the plug, wearing out the foam padding around the headphone (sweat deteriorates those pretty quickly...go figure!) and catching the wire if it's too long around the poles of an elliptical repeatedly and reefing on it. So my damage is at least semi-unique.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    ...catching the wire if it's too long around the poles of an elliptical repeatedly and reefing on it...
    My favorite is catching the wire with my hand when I run. There's nothing like getting a couple miles in, where you've got a really good tempo going and then accidentally jerking your headphones out of your ear. I started running the wire thru my shirt, and it's only marginally helpful.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I had to start running it around my shoulders / neck. It starts at my left shoulder, goes to my right, and then ends up being somewhat shorter around my bicep.

Remove Ads