Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: First week of college...

Member #
    Liked
    181 times

First week of college...

So, I walk into my first class of the day for the first time. I sit down. When everyone is there the teacher starts talking about text editors. The first thing that comes out of her mouth is that their department as a whole decided to never use notepad as a text editor again. That also includes our dear and beloved friend, Notepad++ #$%&#$& ...

In my book that is reason enough to drop the class and switch to another college. My professor also see's Dreamweaver and WordPress as viable "tools" to create websites. This fact beg's the questions. How good of a degree do they really offer here?... Personally, not letting me use Notepad++ is a pretty harsh blow because that is what I grew up with.

What do you guys think?...
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I think your professor is a real-world failure who insists on propagating her own abject failures on a young and impressionable potential fan base rather than acknowledging his own shortcomings as a teacher. Feel free to quote me on that and let me know what she says.

You know what's really sad? That's not even close to the dumbest thing I've heard today.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I think your professor is a real-world failure who insists on propagating her own abject failures on a young and impressionable potential fan base rather than acknowledging his own shortcomings as a teacher. Feel free to quote me on that and let me know what she says.

You know what's really sad? That's not even close to the dumbest thing I've heard today.
    Haha yea I think i'll try that. Would be pretty interesting to see what happens. By the way, you used his and her in the same sentence. Its a woman professor. You must be pretty frustrated because I rarely see you make mistakes in typing.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Nah, I misread it the first time and thought I got all the "his"es out of the way the second.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Let me clarify something. The reason they decided to drop NotePad is because she claimed it creates text that when saved and transferred to a mac platform or another text editor screws up the formatting. Things like indentation which are important for coding. Is this really true or am I getting smoke blow up my arse? I have never seen Notepad++ screw up the formatting no matter where I opened html file.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I have four words to answer that...who gives a damn? Why is that even a factor? I get why code should be indented, and I do it...but as long as the formatting is consistent, who cares?

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    That is a very good question. I thought it was a pretty pathetic excuse not to use Notepad++. I really don't know what they have against it... Instead of Notepad++ she insists we use KomodoEdit or PSpad, which from personal experience is COMPLETE CRAP. The only consolation is that at least she let me use Aptana but with the tag completion turned off. I don't even know if that CAN be turned off...

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Now that is stupid. On the one hand, learning how to complete your own tags is a good idea, so I get why she wants it a little bit On the other and more important hand, a good tag completion tool (such as Notepad++) will prevent mistakes, and isn't that what coding is all about? Aren't you supposed to make maximum use of your resources? And how is she going to enforce this if you do most of the work from home or outside of the classroom? So there's where the bit of a good idea is drowned out by the overall ridiculousness of it.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Don't get me wrong. I have no intention of following her rules. I will continue using notepad++ until she notices at which point I will innocently say I "its a habit I forgot i'm not supposed to use it." The tag completion thing is probably because its an entry level html class so she wants the students to get into the habit of closing tags.

-Steve Jobs

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Note Pad++ is a very good code editor and if you want to learn and develop your coding skills big time just use it. Its the best code editor for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads