Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: pdfs on the web

Member #

pdfs on the web

Hi, there I am just wondering what is general practice regarding putting pdf's online. A client would like me to include on his website several pdf files which are scans from magazine articles related to his art practice. While I quite like the idea of having that information on the website, I am no so enthused about all the pdf documents.

Maybe its just me, so I would like to know the general opinion in regards to pdf's. I personally find them quite annoying and usually hit the go back button as soon as I see that a page is trying to load a one. In browser pdf readers are a bit clunky in my opinion and the content, in general and in this specific case, is designed for print. They therefore make use of vertical layouts and small type, which is hard to read on screen.

So if you share the same opinion how do you deal with displaying information from pdfs on the web? Type it all back out in html? That was a consideration but the one thing I do like about the magazine scan pdf file is it shows that the article is from a legitamate magazine, it shows the article in situ. What do you think?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I think it depends on the circumstances. In your case, you're probably stuck with using the PDFs as typing the information (or getting typed copies) would be too much of a hassle, require formatting adjustments to fit it to a site, and you'd lose the benefit of credibility that you mentioned.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, however. If you're worried about it showing up in a web browser, you could always serve it as an attachment and force users to save it (although from my experience, not all browsers handle this the same way...FF in particular is kind of wonky with this). Then users can download a PDF, read it on their own time, and share it with others...so free publicity for your artist.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    I'm in agreement with the Game on the wonky thingy and exposure but pdf''s play a large role in the net now.

A lot of our small to large business sites have at least one and I think most all of our corporate sites have at least one some more.

We have one on each of our resellers for our clients and have never had any complaints.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, here's another take on the subject (not mine, though).

Monetizing Online Forums : A Practical Guide to Generating Revenue From Forums - The Right Way | Patrick O'Keefe

This guy has his eBook available in three different formats, including PDF. I think the thing's been downloaded something like 10,000 times now (since it's Patrick O'Keefe's book and not mine, he'd know the exact count and it's none of my business). He could have converted his writing to HTML, and there's an argument that can be made that he should have; however, his primary goal was to get the thing downloaded, get exposure for Skimlinks, and have the downloads trackable (i.e. have a count of them). He also wanted a downloadable copy in multiple formats so people could read it on multiple devices.

So if you want an argument for using PDFs, tracking distribution isn't a bad one.

EDIT: If you haven't already, read the book. It's a good read. Download it even if you don't have an online forum to monetize...there's quite a bit of solid, unbiased advice in there that applies to other things. And download it because I said so. I'm always right. So do it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Your client scans magazine articles and posts them on his site? Is that legal? I would think the magazine has copyrights. Even if the articles are about him, they are not his articles. I link to the magazine (where the article appears) would be the only thing he should be doing ... unless he has written permission to duplicate the articles.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Funny thing is that magazines don't seem to care about this much. I had a client for several years that did this, and magazine publishers have become so desperate to sell subscriptions that they'll take any free PR they can get (apparently doctor's offices and community centre gyms aren't enough for trash rags such as Maclean's to survive in these modern times). It's a bizarre form of a win-win for the magazine, since the article is obviously published and named (so it's cited) and the word will be spread by the artist himself.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Many users find it irritating to click a link that points to a PDF document if there is no warning that it is in fact a PDF document. Using a pseudo-element, you can easily add a PDF icon to any PDF links, like this:

a[href$=".pdf"]:before {
    content: url(images/pdf-icon.png);
    margin-right: 5px;
    vertical-align: middle;
    }
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you're going to do that, and it's not a bad idea, you're better off assigning a class to the link rather than a pseudo-element (for IE8 and below) and applying the CSS to the link class. Alternatively, if all the PDF links are the only child links in a parent container, you can do something like #pdf-links a {your CSS here}.

Mind you, the best way to do it that I've found is to put (PDF) at the end in addition to the hyperlink itself, and to use the title attribute of the link to describe the link as a PDF (e.g. PDF: This is a Wicked Awesome News Article).

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I see PDF's from a different standpoint that what I have seen here. BUT... having downloads that can be shared, emailed, forwarded can help a site build some credibility. and every search conference Ive ever attended has said "having downloads of relevant unique content" is looked at the same as any other content.

The trick is to make sure that the PDF's are index-able ( meaning content can be read by search engines ), and most people making scans into PDF's do it the cheap and easy way... a great big image, which means ( not index-able )... so you get absolutely no value from it from a search engine standpoint, and they are usually 10 times the size they need to be if scanned properly.

Some scanners now have the ability to scan/ocr/create a PDF on the fly, others scan and create an text-based PDF document during it's creation...

Mlseim DID make a valid point in getting the publishers permission before publishing. Even if it's an email from them that says "we dont care, do what you want"... make sure to save a hard copy of the email as well as backup a digital copy.

One of my clients has over 200 PDF's on their site ( mostly boring technical stuff ), and although they got permission before putting them on the site, the original publisher got bought out by a bigger house, low and behold I got a cease and desist notice from the new publishing house, threatening to shut my site down.... needless to say, I fired off a copy of our PERMISSION to display ( because the authors are part of the company ), once I pointed that out, they quit asking.

Sometime a publisher will actually send you a PDF of the original article that is "index-able", if you ask nicely so you don't have to bother with it. if not, Kinkos ( no not affiliated with them in any way ), has scanners that can produce the proper format of PDF that the site, your client and you will get benefit from.

Member #
    great, thanks for all the responses. Is it preferable to link it to a separate page and do a target="_blank". Or can it be displayed within a div on the site? Most pdfs I encounter on the web are usually on there own page, separate from the rest of the site. Can it be done so that it appears within my main body like in my content wrapper div with my side navigation still in place, if so is there any reason not to do this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads