Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Gif's in webdesign

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Gif's in webdesign

I'm interested in creating a website with a large GIF on one side. I was wondering if people knew of websites that cleverly incorporate gifs - and if it would slow things down a lot?

Also is this following website a gif (of the dogs walking behind)

HOME

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's not a GIF. It's a Flash animation. And you don't want any part of that. That site is an absolute mess from a code point of view (Dr*amw*av*r run amok) and Flash is beginning its long-overdue downward slide.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Okay. What about incorporating a gif animation?

Here's maybe a better example - though mine might be a little more complex:

http://www.denisechandler.com/index.html

Or maybe this? http://spritely.net/
    Last edited by shanuea; Sep 30th, 2013 at 11:31 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I personally wouldn't. Here's why...the first time, it's cute. The second time, it's "inh, okay". The third time, it gets a little old. The fourth time, it gets irritating.

It won't slow things down much...animated gifs are generally pretty small. They're only 256 colors, so unless you have a massive GIF there's only so large it can be. But that's not your biggest issue.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Okay, thanks. I'll reconsider.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I agree with Game, with one small exception; on a site for kids - lots of bright colours and some movement could very well work there without becoming boring or frustrating

But for a site aimed at adults, not so much after the first few times.
    Don't forget - we (designers/developers) can be fascinated by stuff like this because we know (or want to know) how it's done and we get off on that. But the average user couldn't care less - they just want to get to whatever they came to the site for as fast as possible.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, that's true...the more stuff moves and talks and makes weird sounds, the more small children in particular are drawn to it.

And that's why I had to set up a playlist of Leap Frog full-length cartoons on YouTube for my daughter.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So here's roughly (very roughly!) what I had in mind.

Lemmings running and jumping off a cliff - repeating. They are in red.

Screen Shot 2013-10-01 at 1.39.08 PM.jpg
    If it were to be GIFS I thought a couple together something like this (the boxes).
    Screen Shot 2013-10-01 at 1.43.28 PM.jpg

And, it's actually not for children - it's fairly serious subject but I like to undercut things with a bit of humour. I did think, that as you scroll down the lemmings continue to drop on the left hand side - or perhaps just use this for the welcome/ home page and then go to something a little more normal when clicking another page.

What do you think?
    Last edited by shanuea; Sep 30th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I think that would annoy me because the lemmings would mix with the elements of the page that I'm trying to read and interact with (namely the menu).

I'd leave a site that did that, and I've got a pretty warped sense of humour.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I kinda feel like this would be a good use case for parallax background. Instead of animating the lemmings, use a parallax background to make them "fall" as you scroll down the page.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads