Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

How to include outsourcing in a web design contract?

Hi, I'm a graphic designer who wants to want to be a freelance web designer. However, for now I want to outsource a web developer to code the websites properly. I'm not sure how to write in the contract between me and the client that I will be outsourcing the coding. Would it be something like,

"During the design process, I Alex Jones at (Alex J Design) may employ the services of a web developer of my choice to code for the website. Once the final design for each page of the website has been signed off by you (the client name), I Alex Jones at (Alex J Design) will have the website coded properly by the web developer. Should the web developer fail to meet deadlines or fail to code the website properly, I Alex Jones at (Alex J Design) will be responsible to you (the client). I will pay you 10% of the quoted total cost of the website for each week of delay."

This section will also mention the browsers the web developer will code for and the languages he/she will use, but for this topic I've left that out.

Really, I have no idea what happens or how much I should refund if the chosen web developer doesn't meet the deadlines or doesn't code any part of the website properly.

I live in London, but wherever you live, I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Perhaps, anyone who outsources themselves could post a sample of what they have in their contract.

Thanks,

Alex

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Wait...you're a designer and you want a developer to code it? That's a little confusing, dude.

If you're talking server-side coding, then the best thing you can and should do is let the company deal directly with the developer. That way, your hands are clean. If you negotiate that you're going to hire a developer, you need to worry about two contracts...your client's, and the developer's.

If you're talking client-side coding (i.e. HTML) then you're not really a web designer at all...you're a graphic artist.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex234 View Post
    Hi, I'm a graphic designer who wants to want to be a freelance web designer. However, for now I want to outsource a web developer to code the websites properly. I'm not sure how to write in the contract between me and the client that I will be outsourcing the coding. Would it be something like,

"During the design process, I Alex Jones at (Alex J Design) may employ the services of a web developer of my choice to code for the website. Once the final design for each page of the website has been signed off by you (the client name), I Alex Jones at (Alex J Design) will have the website coded properly by the web developer. Should the web developer fail to meet deadlines or fail to code the website properly, I Alex Jones at (Alex J Design) will be responsible to you (the client). I will pay you 10% of the quoted total cost of the website for each week of delay."

This section will also mention the browsers the web developer will code for and the languages he/she will use, but for this topic I've left that out.

Really, I have no idea what happens or how much I should refund if the chosen web developer doesn't meet the deadlines or doesn't code any part of the website properly.

I live in London, but wherever you live, I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Perhaps, anyone who outsources themselves could post a sample of what they have in their contract.

Thanks,

Alex
    Any standard contract will work fine. There is no need to mention anything about sub contractors, because how you get the site done is YOUR problem not the clients. As long as you fulfill the contract (getting the correct work done in a timely manner) you have fulfilled the contract. The client will only deal with you, never with the sub contractor.

Having said that if you do use a sub contractor than you will need a separate contract with the sub contractor. If you need to see a sample sub contractor agreement message me.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I disagree with that. If the client deals with you as a freelancer, (s)he'll expect you to do all of the work in the contract. If you can't, then you put your contract in the hands of the subcontractor. Since most developers range from "mediocre" to "talentless script kiddies who recreate, download, or buy low-grade generic clone scripts of popular sites and try to retrofit them into custom applications that have little in common with the clone scripts", this isn't where you want to tie your can. Let the developer deal directly with the client and you avoid all of that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I rarely sub-contract anything out, but when I do, it's more for the lack of time, not the lack of ability of skills.

if for some reason I do sub out anything, they are named and scope of their work is defined in my contract with my client. Ultimately the responsibility for everything they do is MINE... so yes, I have contracts for everyone with scope and timelines before I ever even mention it to the client. If they are OK with me subbing out the work, then I proceed, if not, Their project usually get's bumped out 2-3 months until I know I have time to actually do the work myself.

Again, because it's for time saving reasons not skill reasons, when I get the work back from the contractor, I know whether the work is sufficient or if I need to tweak it to fit.

If this scenario seems to be the direction you're heading, I might suggest you find a developer that is looking for a graphic person and team up...

I know several guys that work together like this... seems to work for them

Remove Ads