Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Interactive website store. HELP!

Member #

Interactive website store. HELP!

Hey everyone! My name is Louis and I need some help with my website.

I don't know if I can post links in here so I'm going to refrain from that and just explain.

Basically what I do is customize and repair Xbox 360/PS3 controllers and also invent awesome things for them. What I want to do is design a interactive user friendly store for my customers. Imagine a plain Xbox/PS3 controller where you can click on a part of that controller and it pops up a small menu with every possible customization option there is and once you click what you want, that part on the controller changes to that. The parts are going to be real pictures of the parts and not just 3D replicas. I'm really determined to make it the most in-depth customization option for my customers over all of my competitors but without spending a fortune just to do it.

Is there ANY possible way I can do this? If so, please explain.
    Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Given the circumstances, and because I'm curious to see the controllers, I'm going to give you a green light to post the link.

What I would suggest is a Javascript version of what Regency does with their Fireplace Design Center in Flash (and on DVD for their fireplace retailers):

Fireplace Design Center - Fireplace Buyer's Guide - Regency Fireplace Products

Most of the fireplaces have several customizations (fronts, doors, trims, surrounds, mantels, etc.) From what I recall of how this works, although it's been a year since I've seen the program itself in action. Regency has a photograph for every product configuration that they have to offer, and as users select customizations they get the individual picture corresponding with their customizations. For example, if you pick any of the gas fireplaces and change the refractory brick liner when you get to that point, you'll notice that the log set and the flame changes. They take live action shots of their units and crop out the other stuff. That's actually the hardest part of the whole thing...getting clean shots of all your customizations.

The rest of your store would be fairly boilerplate stuff...gathering billing / shipping addresses, payment processing, privacy policy, refund policy, etc.
    kodiakec likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you so much!

Here is one of my competitors sites that are doing something similar to what I want to do: XBOX 360 Build Your Own - Modded Controllers - Controller Chaos

Here is mine that I'm not nearly done with: 360elitecustoms.wix.com/360elitecustoms

I've done all of the work on it and I'm adding pictures of my controllers that I've done with my logos on them. All I have left to do is the "Create-A-Controller" page and the "Repair Form" page by adding the interactive controllers to them!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Wow...those guys did that much on a Yahoo! store? That's impressive. A Yahoo! store is about as easy to customize as it is to hop a marathon backwards.

Anyway, they did something similar to what I'm talking about, although not exactly the same and the result isn't as high-quality as far as output goes to me. What they did is they created 474 x 340 pixel PNG images of each of the customizations and they overlay the customizations on top of one another. So the red, green, blue, pink, etc. shells are each their own PNG. So are the LEDs, guide buttons, and so on and so on. This is why there is some edging on areas such as the shells. They're not actual representations of what the final customization would look like.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    The other one is www.evilcontrollers.com
    They actually have pictures of their stuff but I don't want to copy anyone else's so I'd rather make mine more in depth and a better experience for customers. On most of them, they give the option to change the LED to a different color, which is alright in my opinion, but I want my customers to be able to customize each LED to whatever color they want. It'd be awesome to have the top come off of the controller on the screen with the LEDs highlighted and they can click each one and make it a different color. To me that right there is already a step above everyone else.

Remove Ads