Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Web Design - Which to Choose?

I want to get other people's opinions on a few different tools to design a website. It's just going to be a basic site, which would include basic pages with content and pictures. I would want a photo gallery and a "Contact Us" page. Would you prefer WordPress or Square Space or Wix, etc. If you have any others I don't know about, I'm open for suggestion.
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you, Karen

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If I had to pick between those three, I'd pick WP just because it's the least of three evils. Mind you, the best solution is always a DIY one because you'll probably want to customize things in ways you can't imagine down the road.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you for your help!
    I have 2 questions:

1. Can WordPress create the website I want with the photo gallery, contact us page, etc?
    2. I understand that a DIY site is best, but it may be too much to learn just from reading a book. When you say DIY, what do you feel I need to learn to create the site I'm seeking?

Thanks again, Karen

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    1) I've seen photo gallery plugins for it before, but I'm not sure where. I know there are contact form plugins as well. So you should be fine.

2) A server-side programming language such as PHP, ASP.net or ASP and a database management system such as MySQL, MS-SQL or Access. If you can learn one of each of these things, you'd get what you need.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    If you are looking for this easiest solution from your choices, Wix may be what you're looking for.

Member #
    Online site builder is a nice option for beginners, but it generates bad code snippets and lack customization. I prefer WordPress as the leading software to build a website, there are tons of templates and plugins available.

Member #
    Hi Karen

I prefer WordPress to development of new websites. To get the right template would be your main concern. But after you have installed WordPress CMS you browse through the millions of free website templates on the back end. Then when you found some you simple click on download and install.

Now you will find under their template directory all sorts of templates exactly what you will need from e-Commerce websites to auction sites. in your case almost every one of the templates on the repository have sliders for images etc. Like I said, choose, download and install. Then simply add the page content, your content details and upload images an videos. Its a breeze really!

I have worked with other site builders before but from my point of view WordPress is the best for people not knowing any programming or HTML coding.

Best regards

Peter

Member #
    [EDIT: link removed to Fluidlab by TheGAME1264] and Wordpress is our choice for building sites. You can' beat Wordpress for the support community and access to tons of battle tested plugins. Fluidlab allows you to choose from a selection of themes that are fully customizable. There is a free demo.
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Oct 24th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Karen,

I recommend Wordpress. It's the most difficult of the 3 because it's really supposed to be for web developers. It's got a pretty admin interface, it's blogging engine is wonderful, and the amount of paid and free 3rd party plugins out there (like contact forms, photo galleries, slideshows) is incredible.

Wix is a hosted site builder. They have had a bad reputation in the past because of a bunch of web optimizing issues, but I think the latest version is okay.

Squarespace is a hosted site builder too. I actually prefer them of all the site builders because their templates are nice. Their website is also one of the nicest websites I've seen - seriously, the designers there have quite an eye. It's also supposed to be quite easy to design responsive sites.

With both site builders, you're limited to whatever they have, but they're easy to use. Wordpress is something that you will really have to invest time in. However, I will tell you right now if you go under the hood with Wordpress, the skill and understanding you pick up will translate to any other CMS out there.

Member #
    I think that Wordpress is the best choice overall, but they each have their benefits.

Wix is definitely the easiest to use, and it's pretty reasonably priced. Unforunately you don't have much control over it and the results really aren't going to be that impressive.

Squarespace is pretty easy to use and makes nice looking sites, but the pricing can be on the expensive side of things.

WordPress is great because you have the most control over your website, but you don't actually have to really know any code, other than some basic html. If you can handle setting up a server and installing WordPress (a fairly simple process, Launch a Self-Hosted WordPress Blog in 20 Minutes or Less [Newly Updated!] | Michael Hyatt) then you should definitely pick WordPress. There are a huge number of free and pre-made themes to customize the look of your site. There are also an array of WordPress plugins which add functionality to your website. This might be something like a contact form or a photo gallery, with plenty of free and paid options available. Searching for "WordPress themes" or "Free WordPress plugins" will bring up a lot of results and you should be able to find pretty much anything you're looking for and get it set up with relative ease.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads