Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Making My Site Mobile-Responsive (Desperately Seeking Help)

Hello:

I own a website through which I sell licenses to my instrumental music for artists/companies to use for their projects.

The site is fairly extensive, and was built from scratch by my web designer.

You can check the site out at: www.openmindsent.com

We realize the importance of making the site mobile-friendly. We've had several customers tell us that they only have access to the internet via their phone, thus we are definitely losing lots of business.

We have gotten several quotes to create a mobile-friendly version of our site. The quotes ranged from $10,000 - $13,000.

Unfortunately, we do not have this kind of money to make our site mobile-friendly.

I had some questions that I would greatly appreciate some insight about:

1. Does anyone know of any designers that would be able to make our site mobile friendly for considerably less than the quoted prices?

2. Could it be smarter/cheaper to have an app created which would allow users to listen to and purchase our instrumentals instead of making our entire site mobile friendly?

3. Is there some kind of music player app that exists which allows people to listen to music files from their phones and purchase them? If so, could this be an alternative to making our site mobile-friendly?

4. If we end up going the app route, I realize that we probably still wouldn't solve the issue of Google seeing our site as being mobile-responsive, thus causing no improvement in our SEO. Is this true? Is there any way to let Google know that we have a mobile-friendly app, thus increasing our SEO?

If anyone has any solutions for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Our business has taken a huge hit ever since Penguin hit, and our sales have been down significantly. So we are avidly seeking for a solution to our problem without having to pay 10s of thousands of dollars.

Thanks so much.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    To answer your last question first, just making a site responsive doesn't "increase its SEO" in any way, shape or form. If you take your site and make it responsive, you won't suddenly be rewarded by Google for doing that. You may notice greater sales and conversions, but you won't notice any kind of a ranking or traffic boost. I just want to clear that up in case someone put that idea into your head.

An app won't really do much that way by itself, either. That will be more about promotion as a whole.

I don't think you're going to find anyone willing to make your site responsive for much cheaper, since 1) responsive web design is still very much in its infancy and 2) you've got sound in your site. Since Flash can't be used to play the sounds, that's going to make things a lot more difficult. There may or may not be an app available to play sounds, but I kind of doubt it for this particular purpose...you're probably going to need one built, and that won't come cheap.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    You have two major hurdles to cross:

1) You need to develop or create the "online mobile app" UI (user interface).
    A good place to start is here: jQuery Mobile | jQuery Mobile

Here is a sample of sites built using their framework: jQuery Mobile Examples - JQM Gallery

2) Once you have a UI framework to use, you need the rest of the website: HTML5, CSS, PHP, MySQLi, etc.

As TheGame says, it aint gonna be cheap! You already have the database/content. The rest of it will be a big job for whoever you hire.

Remove Ads