Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: I want to go from "nowhere" to "now here"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Lightbulb I want to go from "nowhere" to "now here"

Let me start by introducing myself,my name is Tyler B,im 16 years old and want to learn the basics,and eventually the pro side of this industry.Im currently in grade 12,i have alot of time after school currently,so i may aswell put it to use.

My background in coding is slim to none,im able to use photoshop about 8.5/10,but dreamweaver or anything else adobe i have no clue!

So what i am asking here...Would the members of this forum come together to provide me with a few basic links to start,and once i get the basics down,i hope to continue updating this post and advancing my skills to the point where i can provide other members of this forums with help or advice!

The links may consist of anything!But think of it as if you were just starting off designing websites,what information would you want to learn or find out about.

Thanks very much,and i am sorry to the staff if this is posted in the wrong section,my apologies.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    This is how a lot of people started.

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
    First learn HTML followed by CSS.

Have fun
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    When I was in high school ... way before the internet (1976-79), even back then, we had computer programming classes. BASIC, assembly languages, etc. It's too bad schools now don't at least teach some basic programming skills even if it's something as simple as javascripting. At least it teaches program structure, program flow, functions, variables, and other skills.

You can learn it all on your own (using online tutorials, Google, etc), but to have an actual person teaching and demonstrating is something you can't duplicate with online tutorials. There's no way we can teach this using a forum either.

I would say the very first thing to do is get your "workspace" set-up .... Do these two steps ...

1) Subscribe to a real shared webhost account.
    You will have to get your parents to use their credit card for webhosting and domain name hosting.
    I assume a 16 yr old doesn't have a Visa or Mastercard.

2) Get free software:
    FTP client = download FileZilla
    Editor = download Notepad++
    Graphics = you already have that software

With those two things, you will have a place to put files, execute scripts, and actually experiment with web pages. Secondly, doing those two things will teach you how the process works. How the domains work, how the shared webhost works, your cpanel (control panel), transferring files using FTP. Knowing the basics of what a website really is will be the biggest hurdle for a beginner.

So, get your parents to let you subscribe to an account (godaddy, cleverdot, whatever you decide to use). Also come up with a domain name you wish to use for your website ... something that isn't yet taken.

If you get those two steps completed, let us know.

You will need a credit card to subscribe to any webhost.
    If your parents won't spend the $50-$75 or so for a one-year subscription, then you might as well forget about it.

If any of my kids had the interest to do what you're doing, I would hand them my credit card in a heart-beat. I hope your parents see it that way.

Good luck.
    Last edited by mlseim; Oct 14th, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Are you saying free hosting wont cut it for beginner programming and coding? Everything I learned I used free hosting and it worked fine for me for a while...
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    It's great to hear a 16 year old interested in something besides social networking and phone texting all the time. Good for you!

You may also want to download the now free version of the Expression Web 4 web editor. It's our editor of choice over Dreamweaver. We also use Notepad ++ as another forum member as already stated.

You can code in EW4 and when you have the code wrong it will put a reg squiggly line under the code, Mouse over the line and it will tell you what is wrong with the code. It also supports html5 and css3.

If you download EW4 you will need the net 4 framework. The best I can remember it will tell you need it and install it for you when you start the download.

Download Microsoft Expression Web 4 (Free Version) from Official Microsoft Download Center

You have a lot going for you at age 16 and your interest in this industry can carry you up the ladder to success if you apply yourself and learn from it.

Good Luck!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    it all depends on the hardware you're using to get started... if you have a great powerful computer. you can download and try a lot of the stuff that is out there, but if you're running on mediocre to minimal hardware, you may want to start with "the basics"... as mentioned notepad++ or metapad or for that matter, you already have my editor of choice ( if you're running windows )... notepad... it's a bare bones, no frills tool that is already on every windows machine. If I'm working on a clients server, or remotely accessing a server, notepad is always there.

Free Hosting is OK , but more times than not, they limit what you can and can't do...

an older verison of WAMP will run on anything(windows) up to 5 years old, and give you a full working environment that you can do anything with. No Limitations, except for what you put on yourself. It will also give you the opportunity to see and work with a part of web design very few people bother with... actually being able to modify and tweak server settings.

Since you're asking for basics... stick with the basics, w3schools and notepad++.... it's easy to get overwhelmed with all that's out there and available... I could mention 3 to 4 more things, but head spinning is not allowed here...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the vast amount of replies,ive read throught all of them,and started downloading a few softwares,i have began going throught that first link,from andrew,and i hope to learn quite a bit from that.

As for the webhosting,i have a VISA,and ive worked all summer to fill er up,so that is not an issue,my questions about that topic is,what are the ups and down to Freeaid,what am i gaining by paying for it...I have a little bit of experience in Notepad ++ and Cpanel,i used to help edit javascript for one of my friends online games,but i didnt learn to much from that.

Once again,thanks for all this information,i will begin going throught those tutorials that andrew provided,and begin to start playing with everything,i will eventually/hopefully update this post and leave a link to the website i will be learning off of,and hopefully this community can continue to support me in what i am doing and increase my skill level alot.

Thank you very much

EDIT: my computer is running 6gb of ram,with windows 8,my graphics card isnt the best,but its good enoph to get by.
    Last edited by fanboyz1231; Oct 14th, 2013 at 04:47 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I personally wouldn't pay for any hosting until you actually have something to show.... a shared hosting plan ( most are cheap ) will give you the ability to do pretty much anything with restriction. Some of the free hosting limit you to HTML only... or inpage CSS , "no external css" and "no external js" unless they are coming from a share CDN.

with your current hardware, you should have no problem running WAMP so you can run a server on your local machine... which is the way many people do it ( I DO )... develop locally, get everything right, then publish changes to the visible server.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Kid, you get all kinds of respect for having the energy and desire to want to do this at 16 and trying to learn and take it seriously. That's all kinds of awesome.

Here's the thing, though, and I'm only pointing it out because it's indirectly relevant to the path you want to go down...your grammar needs some serious work. It's one thing to be colloquial, and it's another thing entirely not to use apostrophes, correct capitalization, and spacing among other things. A lot of programming languages and frameworks require very specific syntax and/or are CaSe SeNsItIvE, so a degree of care and precision is required; Javascript is the simplest example, but there are others such as XML and C# that fit that description as well. You'll also need to bear in mind that you need to present friendly and clean error messages to users when things don't go as planned (e.g. they don't fill out a required field). If you just say "not all required fields were filled out,please fill out the required fields and well try again", people are going to get annoyed and they won't do what you want them to do.

Again, I'm only pointing this out because you're young enough to hear it and deal with it before it becomes a bad habit, and because it will have a very direct impact on your ability to learn and excel as a developer. I hope you're not dealing with a learning disorder or something else that would inhibit your ability to write; if so, I apologize. If not, take the ball and run with it.

I don't have any other recommendations since others have covered most of my thoughts for me.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    TheGame,
    An interesting 'take' on the syntactical aspect of development. I have young adult children, and I know how texting has spilled over into their everyday writing skills. Lack of punctuation, shortened words, etc. Hopefully, they understand that the real world doesn't run on texting syntax. bt u r corect tho
    AlphaMare and MadzcoHosting like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads