Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DanDavis26
  • 2 Post By mlseim

Thread: Help, best way to build my site

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Help, best way to build my site

Hi
    I have a site i want to develop further, its a game value site. I need to update prices regularly and as there are thousands of games what is the best way to implement this on a site, so that its easy to update prices.

I also want to offer people the option of selling me their games, i imagine with a button to add item to a shopping basket, obviously i dont want them to buy, but to build up a list of games they wish to sell so a bit like a shop i guess, but the sell instead of buy, whats the best way to go about this?

My site is a wordpress site and i have good search rankings but i need a complete overhaul and to adapt the site to try and bring in an income, all help would be appreciated, as im new to web design and not really sure of the best way to go.

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    So you're not really selling games physically from your house? Your site is like a consignment where people list the games they wish to sell and use your site as a place to do that? And by "games" you mean 'cardboard box' board games, like Monopoly?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First off, by "rankings" do you mean you see yourself in a certain position on search engines when you look or do you know that you're getting referral traffic for various keywords and phrases. The former is meaningless, the latter what's important.

Either way, one thing you'll want to do is to preserve your URL structure as much as possible. Only change URLs if you absolutely have to, and if you set up W*rdPr*ss the way most people seem to you shouldn't.

If you want to update prices regularly, the best way to do it that I've seen (or at least the one that works for the most people) is to have a spreadsheet made with at least three columns: Name (of the game), Item_Code (or some other unique identifier...the key is that each row is made unique by the value in this column), and Price. You may need other columns such as Sale_Price (although I don't know how this works if you're buying and not selling), Console (if we're talking video games, and I'm thinking we probably are given that there are "thousands"), and whatever else is relevant to you.

The rest of what you want is going to require some custom programming, since most shops are built to buy and not to sell. I'm not even sure you can do it the way you're envisioning simply because someone may have a game that isn't part of your site. I have a client that buys on consignment and he just has people fill out the "Contact Us" form. Then again, he sells pottery so most of his stuff is rare and one-off.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yes it is video games im on about, and i think you seem to be on the right wavelength. My website is valueofgames.com which has a relatively good search name, which is why i have good rankings on some search engines, although i do need to do a lot more as the site is really far from complete, i just think it has good potential, if you look at the site you will see that how i have done things isnt to the best standards and needs sorting out.

If you look at sites such as gamesdrop.co.uk you will see the sort of thing i want to achieve with regards to people selling games to me, but i dont have barcodes so it would just be done by name, just need someway of people adding to a basket or list with a quote price for all the items they want to sell, then directs them how to send items to me. All this has to be done on a very tight budget, most likely by me which i why i need help/advice.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, let's start with your domain name....there's no such thing as a "good search name". It doesn't exist (yeah, I know what "SEOs" say about exact match domains, but Google in particular has been taking a hard look at that for years now). A good domain name is short, easily pronounced, grammatically correct and memorable. Say "value of games" out loud...it doesn't sound right, does it? Sounds weird. Let me put it to you this way...you're not getting good rankings on search engines because of your domain name.

Second, gamesdrop.co.uk is an ASP.net site. One of the major reasons they can achieve what they want to achieve is because ASP.net is like PHP on human growth hormone. There are things that ASP.net can do routinely that PHP couldn't even dream about, and if they built that site using .NET that means that there's at least one hardcore developer on staff. Hardcore developers don't come cheap because ASP.net is very difficult to master. If you're on a tight budget and you're going to do this yourself, prepare to spend a lot of time mastering a programming language.

There really isn't much advice anyone can give you other than that...learn and master a programming language and database. This is by no means an overnight task.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for opening my eyes.

Its all to easy from a beginners perspective to have an idea, envision it and think that it should be easy to sort out. In an ideal world i would be able to pay someone to do it, but i cant so i guess i need to re-evaluate what im going to do. Your previous post about your pottery friend accepting quotes through email might be a possibility to get started with, its not ideal, but would be able to give realtime quotes.

So i guess i need to sit down and think of the scenarios
    1. Email quotes
    2. Put on hold while learn some serious skills
    3. Find an easier project.

Can i just say thank you for your insight and help, too many times on forums you can get treated like an idiot or completely ignored, and i appreciate you taking your time to help. Thanks
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No problem, dude. You had a decent question, and one where you tried to put in some thought.

I don't think your idea's necessarily a bad one...I think it just takes a lot more effort than you initially realized. Believe me, you're not the first person and won't be the last to go down that road...but you are one of the rare people who clued in quickly when reality showed up. Most people put the blinders on and resort to name-calling when someone points things out as I did...you didn't, and that will help you out a lot more in this process than you're aware of.

And yes, those are your scenarios.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Just so you know, there will be three parts to your website:

1) The website pages that all users can see.
    2) The admin portion that only you can see.
    3) A section that only a person who is logged-in can see.

There might be four parts to the login section:

1) A person registers and logs-in to give you their personal info and list their games.
    2) A person registers and logs-in to request a game they wish to buy.
    3) A person could be BOTH ... the seller and a buyer.
    4) Anyone not logged-in can search and view the games for sale, but cannot request without registering.

The importance of registering is to create a profile of the buyer and/or seller (name, email, address, etc).

There will be two parts to the database:
    1) The registered users table.
    2) The game database table.

So you can see there is a lot of programming to do in order to accomplish all of those sections. You're basically creating 3 different websites in one, depending on who is using the website will determine what they can and can't do. You could technically do it all with WordPress plus a bunch of custom PHP scripting. As Game1264 said, this will require an experienced programmer.
    TheGAME1264 and DanDavis26 like this.

Remove Ads