Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: 403 Forbidden

Member #

403 Forbidden

My main site Web Design Plymouth, Exeter, Newton Abbot, Devon | Retro Edge? is hosted with Media Temple. It seems to be working fine however over the last couple of months I have a couple of people say they cannot access my site due to a 403 Forbidden error. What could be causing this? Why can I see my site and they can't? I'm a bit concerned now that I could be missing out on traffic if my site isn't working properly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The simplest explanation is an IP block. I see it fine, so it doesn't affect me, though.

If you look in your .htaccess folder (I'm assuming you're on a Linux server since this is a W*rdPr*ss site), you may see entries that look something like this:

deny from 1.2.3.4

If you see anything like this, then some people or bots are being blocked and would see a 403 error.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    189 times
    This happened to me just this past week. I went to the host then signed into the client user area, not cpanel.
    This one particular host has an option in their client area to check to see if a client's ip has been blocked.

Sure enough our ip was blocked so I just clicked on unblock the ip. I then went and cleared my dns cache and boop da lou I was able to see the sites again.

I contacted the host and told them about it and asked them to white list our ip which they did.

Sometimes, and this happened to us recently after we upgraded our isp modems. We could upload a new site and all of us on the new modems couldn't see the site sometimes for a few days. We asked the host to see if everything was working on the server side and they said it was and told us to contact our isp.

I called our isp and they reset our new modems and unblocked some kind of thingy in the modem she said, all has been well after that.

Member #
    I think it's an ip issue as opposed to a htaccess one. Well, I guess it must be as there's nothing in the htaccess to suggest am IP block. I wonder if it's one the plugins I'm using, ThreeWP Activity Monitor or W3 Total Cache. Bit of a tough one to investigate when you can't replicate the issue yourself.

Member #
    Hi Erin, could you do me a massive favour and try my site again please:

Web Design Plymouth, Exeter, Newton Abbot, Devon | Retro Edge?

I'm hoping it may now be fixed.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    "She's" from Pakistan. I'm not sure it's relevant to you.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    That could well be it, although I know people from the states have been having the same issue. I found some some blocked IP addresses in my htaccess (which is rather large and over complex) so I'm hoping it's that.

Remove Ads