Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Login to Website help

Hi,

I'm currently building a website where somebody adds a Google Maps Marker position, the user enters some details related to the marker location, they save details and then it gets added into my database.

Apologies if this might be a tad vague, they are really ideas for a user journey i've got at the moment. I'm a Technical Architect so I tend to have the vision but not the deep dive knowledge

How can I acheive relating to the data they enter on the Google Map mashup i've got o the following;

-Create a (friendly graphical) login page to the website where the user can sign up,
    -Wrap a google map page into a freindly theme/website
    -When the registered user is signed up or logs in again, they can log in, the Google Marker details they enter is linked to the logon they have
    -Signed up users can run a seperate report OR i have a page which automatically shows them the entered marker data with the data they've added in that form on a seperate lookup report/status page linked to that account (And this account only)

I think once I get a way to collect data and link it to a username I can look at future advancements down the road and look and feel.

I would be extremely grateful for any help or links on how I can acheive this.

Thanks

Dan

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't think you're going to find any links for this because it requires both server-side programming (ASP.net, ASP, PHP, etc.) and client-side programming (Javascript). You may find bits and pieces for tutorials (login, how to find coordinates on a map, etc.) but you're not going to find the whole thing, and to be honest I'm not sure where to tell you where to begin. I'd say take one thing, figure it out, get a tutorial for it and move on to the next one, but where those tutorials are going to come from...well...that's tricky.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Yes I agree, it will certainly be modular for development.

The issue is going to be the login for google map overlay data, I guess am I looking in the wrong area to fit the scenario of showing user related created data.

Is this what I need? http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/...asp-roles.html

I need to start collecting this data correctly and associate it to individual users, i have flexibility then to do what I want with front end presentation.

BTW Nice Bowling site, i used to bowl a lot.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I have something you might want in regards to the Google Map. Can you tell me what city or location will be the center of where your users will be placing markers?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    I have something you might want in regards to the Google Map. Can you tell me what city or location will be the center of where your users will be placing markers?
    It will be the UK

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's one way to do it, although if you're going to use ASP.net (which in your case I'm not sure I'd recommend because if you have no previous server-side web programming experience, there's a steep learning curve compared to say PHP), you're much better off using MS-SQL than MySQL. They were made for one another, and the express version (which is plenty fine for most applications) is legitimately free. The bowling site you noticed (thanks for that, by the way!) is ASP.NET/MS-SQL, for example.

Like you said, this is going to be modular. So if you're going to use ASP.net, start with the login/password stuff. Microsoft of all people has a decent enough tutorial to get you started here. Walkthrough: Creating an ASP.NET Web Site with Basic User Login From there, you can move on to the members-only stuff.

The major pro I've found to ASP.net is that, once you get your feet wet, you can do things such as building your own DLLs full of custom code and reference them in any project you want. When you update the DLL, you update the reference in your projects and you get the current code with very little effort. It's unbelievably awesome that way. But how advantageous this is to you depends on how long-term your approach is to your project. If you want to keep growing your project and building on it and are willing to spend several years learning and mastering the framework, then .NET would be the way to go. If you want something "quick and dirty" to get you going, PHP and MySQL would be.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Below is a link to a Google Map Mashup I did for processing some GeoCaching. I modified it so it opens on your area with a specified zoom value.

Here's how it works.
    You zoom/pan and drag the marker around to where you want the EXACT location to be. When you get there, you enter your marker information and 'process' it. A PHP script would then do something with the information. In my example it just displays stuff. You could also have something that specifies the graphic image for the marker you want, and you would have a database and all the other stuff.

My example is just the Google Map markup/javascripting/PHP

You can view and copy the HTML and javascripting to duplicate the mashup. You can't see the PHP script though. If this is close to what you want, let me know. I can zip stuff and email it to you (using 'private message' link on the forum).

Here is the working example: http://www.catpin.com/deason

Remove Ads