Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Plotting 3d image from spreadsheet data

I have a spreadsheet of data from a lake that was scanned. There are 3 columns, Latitude, Longitude, depth. I would like to pull this information the spreadsheet or database and have it build the lake. There are thousands of points to build the lake bottom.

I've looked up different ways but can't pinpoint something that will work. Java, PHP, AJAX, what would actually work. Java is what I was aiming for but I'm second guessing that after researching. I am stuck.

Please Help!!!

fixitrod

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't know much about the framework, but it sounds like you want Java. AJAX is Javascript and XML, so it won't do you much good. PHP may be able to plot 3-D points, although I kind of doubt it.

Another option is something like this for ASP.net, although I've never tried it (had no reason to):

Eyeshot extension
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Do you mean something like this?
    http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/greatla.../images/le.jpg

A Bathymetry chart?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Do you mean something like this?
    http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/greatla.../images/le.jpg

A Bathymetry chart?
    I mean exactly that in 3d.

I own a copy of DrDepth software. Spent $400 and 3 months later the software builder sold it to Johnson outdoors who will not help me. It outputs the data in several formats and will even do a 3d png but it very low resolution. This is how I'm getting all the points into a .CSV. I can also do .GPX which can be converted to almost any GPS format using GpsBabels. Putting it into a format that software can read isn't a problem. The first lake I'm doing has 93347 point to plot (lat long and depth).

But, Bathymetry is exactly what I'm doing. Thanks for digging in a bit on that.

I've tried to simply build a good 3d model and I'm having a tough time. Global Mapper worked a little bit but didn't look very nice. I've tried fumbling around in Blender and Sketchup. I have JZY3d Java API set up in Eclipse and have been playing with that. I'm just getting frustrated but I really need to do this.

So, any more ideas? I'm willing to use software to build the 3d model to start with as well. It might be easier to use a prebuilt 3d model anyway. Not sure yet. I never thought it would be this hard to this.

Thanks for the responses.

Remove Ads