Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

What Are You Using For Computer and Website Backups?

I need to set up a system for backing up my:

Websites (various hosting providers/accounts)

Files on my computer
    My chrome bookmarks

I would like to have a service that does these automatically so I don't have to manually. Obviously these are different topics/services for each one. My question is: is there a backup service that can work with multiple hosting accounts/websites, bringing all your data to one place? I was thinking about getting the hostgator cloud backup but I also have several other hosting accounts on different companies.

And can anyone recommend a good way to backup my computer's files automatically?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, if you're using HostGator, get off of it. They're one of the worst hosts going. And they hate me. You can't support someone who hates me...I'm friggin' awesome.

As far as your backup goes, it sounds like you can get a backup set up for you without having to spend more than you're already spending. You're spending money on several different hosts for what are presumably all your sites. Unless you're doing this for "SEO reasons" because you want "SEO backlinks on different class C IPs" or whatever other drivel you may have heard, there isn't a reason to do this..."SEO reasons" aren't reasons, either, but it's all I can think of. So what I would suggest you do is consolidate all of your hosting onto a dedicated server...not a VPS, but a dedicated server. The reason you want a dedicated server is that you can customize the hard drives in it.

Here's how mine's set up...I have three hard drives in the server. Two are RAID1, and the third is a dedicated backup drive that backs up my server on schedule every 12 hours. Now, mine's a Windows server, and I'm not sure if this option exists on other OSes, but I'd imagine it does.

On top of that, I just had a desktop built last month with two hard drives in a RAID1 configuration, so that my code is on two mirrored drives. Don't use a laptop for this...I've heard of people who say "use a laptop for all of your web development needs", and that is one of the stupidest things you can do.

So effectively, I have five hard drives across two computers with all of my stuff on them. The only thing I have to "worry" about is data, but every so often I back up the contents of my SQL server to the local hard drive and away I go. I'm also dealing with a host that I'm about as sure as I can reasonably be isn't going anywhere.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I have no understanding at all of the process that GAME just described, but I'd still like chime in with my simpleton method of backup.

So, for me, the only important things on my computer are my work files. These include work logs, project files, collection of stock photos, invoices/receipts, and more. I configure this work folder to be synched with my Google Drive, so that the items are auto backed up. I have 2 external HDs, but this method I use is just so much more convenient for me.

As for backing up server stuff, I believe you can set up an automatic chron job in your cpanel, right?

Remove Ads