Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Unwanted fonts on iPhone

I'm testing out a new page for a client's site, and the CSS styles call for Comic Sans and variations. However, the page displays an unknown cursive font instead in some places (Times New Roman in others) on my client's iPhone. Any ideas on why this is happening, and a possible fix? See attached screen shot for example (text in light teal box).

Test page is at: http://caringinrememberedways.org/preview/owtd.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    What you wish to do cannot be done unless the PC, device, or browser supports the font you wish to use.

Here is a list of 'safe fonts' that will work on most PC's:
    CSS Web Safe Fonts

Here is a list of 'safe fonts' for Apple, iOS, iPhone:
    Fonts for iPad & iPhone ? Michael Critz

You'll see that "Comic Sans" does not appear on the Apple list of fonts. That's why they don't see the font.

In your screenshot on the first post, the content looks like the font is Times New Roman. That's not what I see on my screen. STRONG COMIC SANS is all I see.

Now before everyone jumps on you about the website, let me tell you that it's really hard to read. Viewing your site on FireFox, I'm seeing EVERYTHING in STRONG COMIC SANS. I simply can't focus my eyes enough to read more than one paragraph. Please, please, please ... for the sake of your website visitors, use a standard font on a background that is easy to read. The website topic and message is good. The presentation is not.

Your question is about fonts, so our discussion should stay on that track. I just have to tell you that I cannot read the content.

Has your client approved the fonts and colors?
    Last edited by mlseim; Oct 30th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Member #
    Thanks for the info. I'm aware that different devices and browsers, etc. will only display fonts installed on their system. I've encountered that issue for several years, but what is baffling me is why that particular flowery cursive font is being displayed instead of Comic Sans. In normal PC web browsers, it would default to Arial, Helvetica, Times New Roman, Sans-Serif, etc. That is the crux of my question here. If it just displayed one of those fonts, I'd be fine with it. I guess I'll just add those fonts to the CSS styles list, after Comic Sans, so hopefully it will load one of those Apple-approved fonts to which you refer, after it passes over Comic Sans.

As to design and layout, this is completely my client's request, and my attempts to sway their choice were to no avail. I agree with your assessment of legibility, etc., but it's out of my hands.

Member #
    Well, lo and behold, I just checked my style sheet again, and for some reason "cursive" was added to the fonts list! Must have been a Dreamweaver tag that was included from the drop-down, that I missed before. That explains it. All is good now.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I feel a little bad for you if your client is insisting on that design. Even if the decision is your client's, you'll always be tied to that site as the developer/designer. If you put that in your portfolio, it's your design to whoever is seeing your work.

I've been in your shoes. I know what it's like to have clients that require certain things that I don't agree with. I've resigned myself from some work just because of that. Fortunately, the design aspects were at the beginning of a project, so I was able to refuse the client's requirements and they found a different developer. I'm "out" the money for the time I spent, but to me it was worth it.

It's your business though, so you have to decide for yourself. Good luck.

Member #
    Thanks for sharing. I'm not worried about this client, and I don't include this in my portfolio. Truth is, I taught myself HTML back in 1995 while under the employ of this client. She was one of the first in her rural area to even have a website, and the rest of the site (a bit different than this page, which is meant to read more like a flyer) has not changed much since then. She's happy with it, and I'm happy to oblige. Perhaps some day she'll overhaul it, but for now.....

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I feel for you, as well.
    I actually foster dogs for a rescue, and have created and maintain two sites for rescues - one for all animals and one exclusively for horses.
    I don't know why, but of all my clients they seem to have the worst sense of design, and are also the most stubborn about taking my advice on how to change it!
    I got a glimmer of an explanation when one of them commented "If it looks too professional, people will think we have money for a fancy site and won't donate as much".
    I do have one of the sites in my portfolio, but I am in the process of updating my site and it will be coming out.
    Good luck - maybe you could gently point your client to this thread - it might help to change her outlook?
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    I guess that I drove this thread in a different direction. Did we answer your question about the font? Not sure if it was resolved or not?

Remove Ads