Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need input from fellow web designers

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardGreen View Post
    It's just shocking that people would suggest that the website could somehow manipulate the files. It's not possible. Is it possible that the person making the PDFs failed to save them with editable permissions? yes and this is the actual case. The whole point was that a website, unless specifically programmed too, cannot manipulate the PDFs in such a way especially if it's just links to the files.
    It really isn't shocking at all. If something worked without W*rdPr*ss, and then W*rdPr*ss is introduced and the same thing doesn't, it stands to reason that someone is going to blame WP. It may not necessarily be correct, but it's pretty logical.

Like I said, I'd have long converted these to web forms. The more you tell us about this, the more confusing and weird it gets. I don't know if it's the way you're explaining it or the process that's involved, but it seems like there are several things that could be responsible, including WP. Personally, if it were me, 1) I'd be looking for any way possible to eliminate myself as the responsible party and 2) I'd be looking for as many holes as possible and trying to remove them.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    It really isn't shocking at all. If something worked without W*rdPr*ss, and then W*rdPr*ss is introduced and the same thing doesn't, it stands to reason that someone is going to blame WP. It may not necessarily be correct, but it's pretty logical.

Like I said, I'd have long converted these to web forms. The more you tell us about this, the more confusing and weird it gets. I don't know if it's the way you're explaining it or the process that's involved, but it seems like there are several things that could be responsible, including WP. Personally, if it were me, 1) I'd be looking for any way possible to eliminate myself as the responsible party and 2) I'd be looking for as many holes as possible and trying to remove them.
    You are not getting it. It's been working with Wordpress and has nothing to do with Wordpress at all. It's just links to the files. There's nothing in it that could effect the PDFs anyone remotely familiar with web development or how the web works would know this. It's not like wordpress was introduced and there where problems. It has nothing to do with Wordpress. There's NO web forms at all. This does not exist. They are downloading PDFs that are only connected in terms of links. These are not forms to fill out on the web. Most are not even forms at all. They are distributed via links. That's it. The same problems with the PDFs existed offsite on the server in the office prior to even being on the web.

They also do not understand that caching and having to hit refresh is a normal part of a web browser. If it's open and changes are made you have to refresh to see those changes and they don't understand this concept.

The site is being blamed because the person making the PDFs doesn't want to look bad for not doing it right. That's the reality of the situation. Unless there is a program to alter the PDFs the links to the PDFs are not going to just arbitrarily make all the PDFs not editable. This is editable offline. This is NOT web forms. They do not fill them out on the web. That's not what they are for. The edit-ability for most of the PDFs are not forms at all..just for markup.

FYI...
    Without changing the website at all they are all now working and editable from my instructions finally being followed. I'm dealing with someone who wants to blame something I created on a mistake that person made. That person is trying to save face and make me look bad in the process hoping others are not computer savvy enough to understand that what is being said is just stupid.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I know there are no web forms at all. That's exactly my point. The point of all of this is that you should have them. The entire process...including WordPress' role or lack thereof in this...should be rethought. You have way too much margin for error, and if you're in charge of the site you're responsible for ensuring that the process is as error-free as you can make it. Your job is to get rid of the elements of human error in any way that you can, and you haven't even come close to doing that.

The more you talk about this, the more it becomes about how things are perceived and office politics as opposed to finding ways to solve a problem. Who cares if someone is trying to save face or make you look bad? If you're worried about looking bad, then you haven't gone far enough to do your job such that any effort from someone trying to make you look bad comes across as petty, small, and irrelevant. The fact that other people believe the non-tech-savvy person over the alleged tech-savvy person means that you haven't done a good enough job yourself. Even if you're dealing with a corporate monolith or wannabe that is full of mindless idiots, you still have the advantage in your scenario and you haven't kept it. That's on you.

They may not have the right reason to hold you accountable, but ultimately the process comes down to you. Suck it up and find a way to deal with it. That's life.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads