Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need input from fellow web designers

Member #

Need input from fellow web designers

I need some input form fellow web designers. This will sound stupid trust me.

Basically it's being suggested that when a PDF document has been updated that no one should have to hit refresh to see the latest change. It should just happen. I explained that the whole cache system and having to hit refresh to re-read the file is normal but they don't believe it.

Also another designer is blaming my website/intranet for causing the PDFs to not be editable or show the latest changes to those PDFs. I explained that the website works fine and is only serving up the links to the files and does not effect the files, but that person is telling everyone otherwise.

See what I'm getting at?

That site is on Wordpress with NO cache plugin running at all. It is using a plugin that automatically makes the links from files uploaded to certain folders. All automated. I'm not the one updating those PDFs these days.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would suggest that they should never have to hit refresh or that it is wrong to have to have caching. I told them they can turn off caching in their browser or set the site as an exception in firefox so it doesn't cache.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Well, if you're looking for a way to make it happen, NodeJS can watch files and push a refresh: http%3A%2F%2Fwww.2ality.com%2F2012%2F08%2Fjsreload .html.

If you load the PDF as an object in your HTML, then Node can push the refresh.

I haven't tried this myself, but it should work.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    I'm sure there's always some script that can keep checking for changes, but that's not the issue and such a script would increase load on the server. They are basically saying that the website is causing PDFs to not be editable which of course makes no sense. They are also saying it's causing the latest changes to the file to not be there. I explained that the website only serves up links to the documents and does not effect the document itself.

The reality is the person making changes to the PDF isn't doing it correctly or making them editable and is instead blaming the website.

Sure I can find a way to have it check and cause an additional load to the server, but it's not needed and if they open these in acrobat then this can't happen anyways. It's just links to the PDFs with the links being auto generated by a plugin that looks in the directory and sends back date modified and such. The argument is that the website is causing problems with the PDFs. I can go in and make an editable PDF and update it and upload it and it works just fine. The PDFs are made editable to even those with just reader by the way.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Since you obviously are looking for some backup, I'm going to do you a big favor:

THAT IS BEYOND F**KING STUPID, AND THE PEOPLE ARGUING WITH YOU NEED TO BE BEATEN WITH A LARGE, BLUNT OBJECT.

First of all, if PDFs are being edited that constantly, they should be converted to web pages and thus everyone can edit them and see the changes within the WP admin as they're made.

Second, if they want "editable PDFs", just make web forms, throw the results into a database, and do it properly rather than relying on people to download a plugin that they don't need.

So there's your answer...stop using PDFs.
    Webzarus likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    #1 . Servers serve documents, unless you have some sort of back end interface that modifies the file once it's uploaded, the uploaded document stays the same..... ( check the file CRC value... if the document changes... the file CRC value changes )

#2. AdobeX and Adobe XI can and will allow users to make some changes... but if you're using Adobe Write ( or whatever the newest name is )... and expecting AdobeX or AdobeXI to be able to edit them... not going to happen

#3. Even if the user is able to OPEN and make a change to a PDF... when they hit the SAVE button... it's gonna save the changes to the local computer... and they will need to upload the newest version for everyone to see.

#4. Abode once did have a program ( server setup ) that allowed this to happen... but since it wasn't profitable for them ( meaning no one was buying or using it ), they dropped support about 2 years ago.

AdobeX and AdobeXI implemented a very small subset of editing capabilities... not full blow editing, they want you to PURCHASE their full blown creator.

As mentioned above, if the content is going to be constantly changing... use web forms ( Period )... PDF's were never intended for use for managing content...

Member #
    I think some of you misunderstood part of my post. The PDFs are not a part of the website at all and are not forms for the website. These are documents the sales reps download and then disperse to potential customers. some are for other purposes. not all are editable. Basically they all NEED to be PDFs.

There's also the issue of cache where people are claiming they should not have to hit refresh if changes are made...etc. The site just serves the PDFs. It is not accessible to the public. Just the reps. Not every PDF has the same purpose. Some are just flyers and so on.

People are asking why they have to hit refresh to see the updated PDF sometimes. And sometimes the cache refuses to let go of the previous info as well. My solution was for them to add the site as an exception so it won't cache at all. And no server-side Wordpress caching is done for that site because it's not needed in this case. I explained that the website does not effect the editability of a PDF. Only the person creating and saving out the PDF effects that. That person slipped on this but then blames the website.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, that's just bizarre. I don't even know where to begin describing what's wrong with that scenario, and I don't know who to blame in this case. Someone royally messed up somewhere.

First of all, nothing needs to be a PDF. Nothing. Ever. PDF is just a document type. There are a whole bunch of document types, and chances are that at least one or more alternative doctypes should be considered if you're dispersing files to potential customers digitally (e.g. .doc/.docx, .rtf)

Second...you're using WordPress for what sounds like an intranet and you're using it as a glorified file server. That makes exactly no sense whatsoever. None at all. If the documents were intended for private consumption and not intended to be accessed by the public, using WordPress to protect it is like using a padlock for a bank vault. That's beyond ludicrous. There's no way that should be done.

Here's what I'd suggest...a login/password-based set up that allows for sales reps to log in and then a page that lists all the files and folders in a particular directory. As users click to the various files, they're served as downloads. I've done this before and it's worked fine. So this is what I'd suggest. You can customize the level of security, control access to files based on that, and do a lot more than you can with WordPress.

That's just...wow.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Most of the situation is that someone is claiming that the website that has the link to the PDF is somehow destroying the PDF to where it's no longer editable or showing the latest version. In reality that person made simple mistakes but is trying to put the blame on to the website as to not look bad. I wa skind of looking for backup on the fact that the website could not possibly effect the PDFs being linked to. It's basically just serving up those files.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's just it...you're probably not going to find it as it stands right now. You're not using WP the way it was intended to be used, so that means as long as you have WP in place they've got a copout. It probably isn't WP's fault in this case, but there's no way to say that for sure. Again, this is what happens when you use things incorrectly...sometimes things don't work as intended. Guess what gets blamed? The thing that was used incorrectly, even if it wasn't responsible.

The only way you're going to get backup is if you change the way things operate...and by change, I mean "get rid of WP completely". If WP isn't involved and the files are still corrupt, it wasn't WP.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    That's just it...you're probably not going to find it as it stands right now. You're not using WP the way it was intended to be used, so that means as long as you have WP in place they've got a copout.
    I'm using WP correctly and am a professional developer. It has nothing to do with the website. This is the issue. Where people are saying the Wordpress is somehow manipulating the PDF file which it cannot do in anyway.
    On that page it's simply a LINK to the PDF. That's it. No processing of it in any way at all. AND...in fact I can access the same files on the server BEFORE it's even on the web and those are not editable either. Since it's just a link to the file that is downloaded for rep use only. These are not web forms or something that could be a web form at all. It's stuff that is put out there and then reps sent to others. Only reps can access the site.

It's only ever just a link to the PDF and people are claiming that some how by magic the link to that file is changing it to not be editable or present the latest version. You are thinking in terms of web forms or something that is processed. Nothing is processed or intended to be at all.

The same files on the server prior to being uploaded where also not editable. It's just a way to shift blame by saying the web site did it and hoping people buy into that idea and I get looked down on instead. The links themselves are auto generated and all works fine. Wordpress is functioning fine and there's no cache system in order to prevent issues and it doesn't need it. I use w3 Total Cache on everything else of course. Just this site is basically link pages to needed resources for sales reps.

To simplify..the Adobe Acrobat PDF exists in a folder it's uploaded to. Wordpress auto generates a link to that file by reading the directory and files within. It also projects date revised and stuff next to the link. The argument is that some how by magic the link or Wordpress is somehow making the most recent PDF not show up and is disabling the edit-ability of that document. Very stupid argument that is borderline insane. Well actually it is insane.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads