Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Novice Needs Some Help

I am building an amateur hockey related website and want to pull standings from organizations individual websites that will display on mine in real time and have no ideal how to do this. I am assuming that it is a pretty simple process, but I can't figure it out. As stated in the title, I am a novice web designer so, please post in simplistic terms. I appreciate it.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    For professional sports ....

No it's not simple ... especially for sports and certainly difficult for real time. Those sites that stream or post live scores pay a lot of money to tap into the databases of those special servers in order to get those scores. To scrape their HTML is tedious, often times not possible because of tabbed or log-in type of dynamic pages. Sites do offer API's to access live data ... but you'll have to pay for an account to access it.

Scraping websites for other peoples' data is also not ethical unless they offer the data as a feed (XML) or API. They are paying for their data ... they probably wouldn't be too pleased if you used it without permission.

For amateur sports...

Look online for a place that might offer live scores. If you find one, give a link. Otherwise, give a link to a site that you want to scrape game scores from. I'm curious to see what type of site you are talking about. I don't imagine there are many sites for amateur hockey that have live scores?
    Last edited by mlseim; Nov 14th, 2013 at 09:25 PM.

Member #
    ML,

Thanks for the reply. This is not necessarily for live scores. I already have a program set up for that, which is user submitted. Essentially, every hockey organization posts their standings on their respective sites. I'm just wondering if there is a way to pull the standings from another site to post on mine which will update as they update it. I guess that's really what I meant by "real time". As I said, I'm a little wet behind the ears when it comes to this. If you care to check out the site, it's realtimehockey.net. I'd appreciate any input you might be able to give me.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Give some links to sites where you are getting scores from.

Remove Ads