Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

A flashcards system - which programming language?

Dear all!,

I am starting out.

I would like to create a flashcards system for learning new words (in Spanish) which are repeated over spaced intervals of time and depending on how well you remember them. They do not have to be very fancy nor animated. Just a simple, flat kind of theme.

Similar to this > Remembr.it: Online Flashcards

Starting from scratch with Sams Teach Yourself PHP & MySQL, is this the right way to go? or would I need Javascript or Flash or even something else?

Many thanks!!
    Matthew

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Yes, but not flash.

You'll need some kind of backend language like PHP to accomplish what you're trying to do. Whether or not you need a database depends on how you build it. Unless you want to reload the page for every card, you'll want to learn some Javascript as well so you can bring in the next card or set of cards via ajax, or just hide subsequent ones until it's time to show the next.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thank you Ronald for your quick reply!

Good point, I do not want to reload the page for every card, I want to the users to be able to sit there for a long period of time and work through the flashcards, so I guess that is Javascript then? But you mean a mix of PHP and Javascript or should I just concentrate on getting to grips with Javascript?

And Ajax?

Member #

Remove Ads