Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Where to start when building a Database website?

I'm looking to design a website that is basically a giant database. Similar to a skeleton build of what Facebook was when it started. Usernames and passwords and profile pages and a search. I'm not trying to design the next Facebook or anything just want to work on a pet project. In fact many of the same features this website has except its not a "forum".

My question is how do I get started?

What software do I need?

What programming languages will I have to learn? MySQL, PHP, Ruby on Rails...

Will I be able to test the website offline or will i have it hosted before I an build and test it?

I have a mac computer and would prefer not to work with windows based computers. If this is limiting me please let me know. I can run windows 7 on bootcamp.

I'm sure there will be tons more questions but these are a good start. If there is a specialized website or preferred website where i might get better help please let me know.
    Last edited by apple713; Nov 19th, 2013 at 04:03 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    No matter what server-side language you choose, you'll have to have your PC run as a server to test offline.

PHP/MySQLi is a popular choice. Whether it's the best or not is questionable. FaceBook is PHP.

If you don't have any programming experience, this is going to be one hell of a project for you to do. All I can say is Good Luck.

Member #
    I understand programming and get it conceptually but learning the languages will be new. I feel like i'll just have trouble getting started and set up but once I do i'll be fine with guess / check / test.

is there a best choice for something like this?

Are there certain questions I can answer that would make determining what to use easier? Maybe a site with advantages / disadvantages of all the options?

Can you build databases with PHP only? I thought they went hand in hand?

Where can I learn to set my PC up as a server to test offline?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Whether it's the best or not is questionable. FaceBook is PHP..
    All the more reason not to use it. :P

Seriously, PHP is only a server-side programming language. It can interact with several different data sources, such as MySQL, Excel files, XML, text files, CSVs, and I believe even MS-SQL (haven't tried, don't know, don't hold me to that...I have used PHP with the other 5, though). Most server-side programming languages allow for this, at least partly because web developers need to draw from various data sources at various times. I personally have used every data source on that list on multiple occasions and some more on top of that (e.g. MS-Access). I know I'm far from the only one.

One thing to consider about PHP is that it's broken. No, really...it's broken. This guy says it a whole lot better than I ever could, although he sure got some monkey butt ugly flak for saying it.

Please stop pretending PHP is a good language - edorian's weblog

Another option, although you said you want to avoid Windows computers, is ASP.net and MS-SQL. Basically, ASP.net is like PHP if you took out all the disorganization, clutter, constant site fails due to updates, inconsistent error messages, and all of the other things that make PHP an Excedrin headache (by the way, can ya tell I hate PHP?) Microsoft has released some crazy stupid things over the years (see Page, Front), but the ASP.net framework is far from one of them. It's clean, MS has released a ton of tools to go with it, and for the most part it's free (about the only outlay you may have is the additional cost of Windows hosting once you get into the dedicated server level if you do it right, and even then it's about a $10/month difference).

Haven't tried Ruby on Rails yet. No opinion whatsoever there.

Whatever route you go, as Max said it's going to be a major undertaking. Even Facebook when it first started out was an undertaking, despite it just being a college attempt to copy classmates.com. So you're going to be in for a steep learning curve, and as you pointed out most of it will be in the beginning when you're blindly stumbling your way around and checking various tutorial sites that are usually incorrect or are missing half of the information and you need to take things from about 7 or 8 sites to get your idea to work. Development isn't just about learning a programming language and learning a database management system, either. It's about designing interfaces, it's about solving the stupid things idiots do when they use your site (for example, putting in "password" for a password and getting the account hacked). If you're going to put this out in the wild, be prepared for this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    @thegame thanks for the information.

I'm trying to decide between python and ruby. From what i've read so far this is what i've found but please correct me if i'm misunderstanding

Ruby - is slightly harder to learn but requires less code to accomplish the same things. Sounds more automated and like programing with it is a pleasure instead of a chore. To get your site uploaded it seems like ruby is significantly harder. Errors are also harder to understand.

Python - Seems like its strict in its structure but easier to learn. It requires more code than ruby but sounds like it has a streamlined process to get the site uploaded and running. I have actually used python in the past but didn't know until i read that the python file types are .py which is what i had been using.

Im interested in these languages strictly for web development and their ability to work with databases.

Would I also have to learn a database programming language like SQL or is one of these languages all i'll need to know in addition to HTML?

Also, is there a great resource where I can get lay man's definitions for programming language like "frameworks", or "migrations" or "Full Stack"?
    Last edited by apple713; Nov 19th, 2013 at 11:43 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Again, I haven't used either so I can't help you on which is better. Never had a reason to.

As far as whether or not you'd have to learn SQL...yes. Since you're using databases, you'll have to use a language to get at the data inside.

There really isn't a good singular resource that puts web terms into layman's terms. It's kind of "you pick it up as you go."
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    is SQL / MySQL the only option for web based databases?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    MS-Access is another, although it's Windows based. Works surprisingly well, although it'll require an upgrade once you get up over say 250,000 page views per month.

As far as other ones, I think PostgreSQL and Oracle are options, although I've used neither so I don't know for sure.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Collect your data and just organized in a great way and try PHP/my sql.Hope it helps.

Remove Ads