Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ajkemp

Thread: Need Help, First Time Website Designer

Member #

Need Help, First Time Website Designer

So basically I have been tasked with designing a website for a hunting club I belong to. I don't know anything about designing a website but I was picked because they thought I could figure it out. The club already has a website (Sunrise Farm) but we need a new one because the person who currently maintains it only updates it about once a year and is essentially holding it hostage (he owns the rights to it and won't give them up). The new site doesn't need to be fancy it basically just needs to be similar to the old website, simple, and to the point. The problem is I have no experience and no idea where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are working on a very limited budget, if possible I'd like to avoid any monetary costs besides purchasing the domain name.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What might be easier and more effective is to pull an end around on Gregory Tellone. The sunrisefarm.org domain is registered through Register.com, and they're a pretty big player.

I'd suggest you call them, tell them what happened and ask them what the process is for updating the WHOIS information on the domain name (if you don't know what this means, they'll know and probably explain it to you).

Contact Us | Customer Support | Register.com, Inc.

They're out of Nova Scotia, so the times listed are EST.

If you can pull that off, the good news is that they also appear to be the ones hosting your site so you'll get access to at least most of what Gregory had.

By the way, in case you're wondering how I knew that name:

SunriseFarm.org WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks so much for finding that out for me, I don't know any coding though even if I managed to make that work I don't really know where I'd go from there. Can you point me in the direction of any resources that are free and explain the basics of creating a simple website and/or maintaining an existing one?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    HTML Goodies: The Ultimate HTML Resource (best place to start).
    Online video tutorials & training | lynda.com (I've been told the tutorials there are good, although I've never needed or used them).
    W3Schools Online Web Tutorials (explains code basics...not always 100% accurate, but will give you the general idea.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Is Gregory the only person that can access the webhost account? Nobody else in the club has any access to any accounts?

When I do any website for anyone, I require them to setup the hosting and domain accounts since they are the owners. For someone to hold a website ransom for a club or organization isn't very professional (in my opinion).

Don't worry at all about the website itself ... go for the domain name only. Put your efforts there and let the webhost account go. With the domain name, you can point it to your "new" website on a different webhost if necessary.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    In this case, the registrar appears to be the host, though. So if he can get access to the registrar, then the hosting account will follow and the files will be there.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    @sunrisefarm ....

If just by chance, anyone other than Gregory knows one of the FTP account logins, that will be a great thing.

If you contact the webhost, you can prove your identity by giving them a valid FTP account username and password. With that, they will help you with whatever you need. So, even if you don't have a webhost password, you (or someone) may have an FTP account username and password. Check up on that one.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey whatever you do while designing its up to u but I want to suggest you just keep it cool and simple and most importantly user friendly.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I hope this doesn't seem too rude but surely it would be easier to negotiate with a student designer/developer or asking if someone wants a project for their portfolio?

I only say this because you have stressed the point that you know nothing about web design!

I'm just being realistic as I have only been learning web design for a year or so now and I can tell you that it hasn't been easy to get where I am now and that is miles away from where I need to be!
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Remove Ads