Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Newbie here...............need advice for building a "forum website"

Member #

Newbie here...............need advice for building a "forum website"

Guys, Please suggest me how and using what one can build a forum website, something like this.
    Is there any programming involved in building this and what are the steps required to be followed, like softwares etc. Please suggest.
    This website is basically being designed for "forum" for engineering discussions.
    Please advice.
    Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    760 times
    Forum software/scripts are already done ... you can use an existing system and not have to start from scratch.

vBulletin, phpBB, Simple Machines, Vanilla Forums, etc

To build your own from scratch will take thousands of steps.

This site: All Categories - electric imp Forums
    Is a technical forum about a new Cloud-Based WiFi Controller. I think they use Vanilla Forums: Vanilla Forums - Community Forums Software - Vanilla Forums

Decide whether you want to try something free, or purchase software like this forum you are now on (vBulletin).
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    We installed and started setting up three forums today for clients using SMF (Simple Machine Forums).

If you're hosting company has cpanel and Softaculous in cpanel then you can take a look at the forums in Softaculous. Could be one in there that will fit your needs with demo's, reviews and easy installation and usually free.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    The forum script is by far the easiest part. It may take you several hours to set up the forum skin, get all the different forums set up, do all your testing, etc. Then comes the hard work.

http://www.managingcommunities.com/ <-- this is a blog by a guy named Patrick O'Keefe that talks about all that goes into managing forums. Banning spammers, making sure intelligent and useful contributors are spotlighted, etc. Read it and you'll see just how much work goes into a forum.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Guys, I am totally new for web designing, but I have great enthusiasm in building one.

I am happy to read book and use it as a tool and start building a "forum website", (for ex: I have build a software just by reading books and internet information on VB-Visual Basic 6 and this software help users where one can make algorithminc and trignometry calculation easily just by putting values inside it).

So, if anybody knows this way, then please suggest me, so that it can be easy for me to build forum website where people can use my website for discussions on "Engineering". please advice I am very junior, and suggest any books + softwares which can make me easier to design by studying that material.

Hope everything I mentioned above is clear. Thanks a lot for your time.

Remove Ads