Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Finding a good simple program to create websites

I'm new to this forum, and look forward to getting some good information and advice. My primary hobby in retirement is 356 Porsches and writing books about them. I am self-taught on computers and far from an expert. I do know 356 Porsches. I have written and published nine books about Porsches, and I have created (I use that word loosely!) a website about 356, 911 & 912 Porsches that consists of probably more than 60 pages (or sub-websites, don't know the right term). The websites/pages are primarily images and text with a minimum of other fancy stuff. I used a very basic website program called AOLPRESS, which is great for beginners like me, as it didn't have templates or other fancy stuff, but it does get the basic text and pictures presented which is my goal. My XP computer died recently and my new Win8 won't run AOLPRESS. I'm looking to continue the kind of websites I've been doing, and am not looking for fancy templates or other fancy stuff. I'm looking to communicate on the web about 356 Porsches simply thru text and pictures. Can someone recommend a beginner type, non-complicated, non fancy website creation program like AOLPRESS that I can use to continue what I've been doing. I'm 70 years old and don't have the interest or skills to go more complicated. Thanks in advance for any recommendations. To see my simple website, please go to:

DerWhite's 356 Literature

CW

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Hi and welcome to the forum. You can find several free drag and drop programs that will help you make a new site with little experience.
    You can also download for free now a professional web site editor that will serve you well and is our editor of choice, has been and will continue to be as long as it works for us.

Microsoft Expression Web 4
    Download Microsoft Expression Web 4 (Free Version) from Official Microsoft Download Center

There are 1000's of free templates in the net now and most of them will work in EW4.
    One of our "go to website host" has 100's on them on their site. I think you can download one for free without hosting with them.

kvcwebhosting.com

I will offer some advice to you if you're not savvy in web site building and if you find a template you like.
    Always look at the file size of the template and if it's usually over 1mb in size you will probably need to know some jquery and or flash so avoid them.

Good luck and let us know how things work out for you and if we can help.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you want to create websites and want to learn how to do it......then use W3C schools for learning it. Its best for beginners.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by derwhite View Post
    .................................................. ................ To see my simple website, please go to:

DerWhite's 356 Literature

CW
    You could start off using some kind of blogging platform like for e.g blogspot.com, wordpress.com etc
    Chris, Developer, Chrisranjana.com
    Software developers,
    Php and RoR programmers,
    http://www.chrisranjana.com

Remove Ads